Help with grape vine cuttings please...................

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

Help with grape vine cuttings please...................

having done all my cuttings frrom last year, and aquiring some grape vine cuttings, all my others have started growing, and my grape vines havent
are they later than current bushes, and rosehips, or have i done something wrong??

jenko

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with grape vine cuttings please...................

Yes, I think quite a bit later.
They are one of those plants that take ages to start growing and then don't know how to stop. (In the north anyway, I'm sure it's different in the Rhone valley)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

yeah thanks very much, im glad im not doing anything wrong
i think living on top of a hill on the pennines, in derbyshire, so they probably wont come up for quite a while
thanks

jenko

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

yes jenko its ok! vines won't look alive for a while yet , im down here in hampsire and all mine a re looking like dead twigs :? give it till may... and then worry a bit

do you know what type they are btw?
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

I picked up 2 vines cheap from a well known, well hated store, 1 black, 1 white (why white & not green?) The green vine shooted about 10 days ago and now has shoots 2" long and will son be ready to put in situ. The black hadn't moved and we thought that we had lost it. Yesterday it started showing green buds as well so I am guessing (as a newbie to vines) that they are all different.

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

jampot wrote:yes jenko its ok! vines won't look alive for a while yet , im down here in hampsire and all mine a re looking like dead twigs :? give it till may... and then worry a bit

do you know what type they are btw?
im not to sure, ilan sent me them, and apparently they are a mix.
thanx

jenko

Deorccwen
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We bought a grapevine when we moved here. For two years, it put out the odd, feeble leaf but did nothing more. We didn't like to give up on it, but wanted the space for something a bit more productive, so we moved it. For two more years, it looked like a dead stick, and we wondered whether we'd killed it by moving it. Eventually, we decided to put a thornless blackberry in there instead, but didn't have the heart to grub up the grape, so planted it alongside. Both plants flourished, and the following year, we got 2 dozen bunches of grapes! Not sure exactly what was going on here, but we have some possible ideas.

1) Reading a book on Companion Planting a couple of years later, we discovered that grapes and blackberries make good companions (certainly they don't seem to bother each other at all, even though they're planted right beside each other).
2) We have a very heavy clay soil - it might have taken the grape a while to get used to it.
3) We moved the grape from a relatively shady spot to a sunnier spot, so it might have recovered there anyway, even without the blackberry, and the delay in recovery might just have been due to the shock of its roots being disturbed.

Anyway, what I'm really saying is give your grapes a few years before you utterly despair of them!
Deorccwen