Bokashi & Tea Bags

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bokashi & Tea Bags

Theres a list of things your apparently ot supposed to put in bokashi bins, teabags being one of them. i have been tearing them open to get the tealeaves out to put on the bokashi but some bags go slimy or are weird designs so they just end up spilling all over the place...

does anyone who uses bokashi put there tea bags in? i cant see it would really make such a big problem as its all going on the compost anyway isnt it?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bokashi & Tea Bags

I think some tea bags are made out of a plasticy type bag - probably the bigger brands like tetley or typhoo. I wonder if it is just in the no-nos because of these bags?
The fairtrade teabags that I buy certainly degrade very fast in the compost, and I would put them in a bokashi without thinking.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

When we use teabags it's either fairtrade or Yorkshire tea and the bags compost fine. Not Bokashi bin though.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

kathleen
Tom Good
Tom Good

Whoops, I always put the teabags in the bokashi & have never noticed any problems!! I tend to buy organic herbal tea which maybe comes in teabags which biodegrade more easily??

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've also put teabags in bokashi without problems. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Happy composting (or, in casu, fermenting),
Jandra