Off to get my key today!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
TheLily
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Off to get my key today!

On Thursday of last week i put my name down for a lottie and was told that the wait was a year plus......i was expecting that bit though.
Lo and behold on Saturday i receive a letter saying i'm to ring on Monday morning if i still want one as 38 more plots have just been made available :cheers: ,i honestly couldn't believe my luck!
I'm off to have a look later(already allocated,i couldn't choose but,funnily enough i got a good sunny spot!)

I do have a question though.....he said it is 2,152 sqft.The guy then started rattling on about allowing some to go to grass if i wish,as it may be too much which made me wonder as i can't visualise how big that is :scratch:,is there a 'usual' size for a lottie?

charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Off to get my key today!

That's great news, getting it so quick. :-)
I guess it's the right time as it's renewal time for the plots.

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

TheLily wrote: I do have a question though.....he said it is 2,152 sqft.The guy then started rattling on about allowing some to go to grass if i wish,as it may be too much which made me wonder as i can't visualise how big that is :scratch:,is there a 'usual' size for a lottie?
The plots at our site are half-size, having been halved many years ago before they became unpopular. Each half is about 187 square metres, which according to an online calculator thingy is 2012.85 square feet. In allotment terms, that's about 5 rods, or 1/32 of an acre.

I suggest you go on a satellite map (google maps or something similar) and have a look at the plots, or others nearby if they're not on the map yet. Compare that to an area of ground you know well, like your garden or the local park or something. That way you can get a bit of a feel for the size.

I don't think it's too big. I don't think you need to grow grass unless you want a play area for children. I do think you're going to have great fun. :cheers:

Hope that helps
Rosey xx

TheLily
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well,i got the key and took the kids for a quick picnic at the edge of the plot :cheers:

Here it is.....think we have some work to do :lol:
Attachments
Dsc06861.jpg
Dsc06861.jpg (81.8 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Rosendula

Gosh that does look big. Is it all yours, or is some of that the neighbouring plots.

I think you've struck gold there. Usually when people first get their plot they are waist high with weeds. That one looks ready for planting up. Congratulations! :cooldude:
Rosey xx

JulieSherris

Oh, well done you!

Hehe, I wouldn't worry about it being too big... once you put the polytunnel on & the shed & marked out the beds, & then a half dozen tyres down for spuds, & a few flags down for picnic times.... see, you'll be running out of space in no time :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

TheLily
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rosendula wrote:Gosh that does look big. Is it all yours, or is some of that the neighbouring plots.

I think you've struck gold there. Usually when people first get their plot they are waist high with weeds. That one looks ready for planting up. Congratulations! :cooldude:

The pathway Maia is running along on the left is the path to the side of the lottie and you can just see the outline on the right of the other side.It's much bigger than i anticipated and although i'm a wee bit daunted,my head is full of ideas!!!We have a tap either side of the plot so are spoilt there,the community hut sells compost and allsorts of other stuff(we also get free woodchip) and another bonus is that i found out i get a concession on the price due to me being a carer:flower: .......the only downside is that the council used weedkiller to supress them and i prefer doing things the organic way :( ......but they did rotavate it(and a couple of glass bottles by the looks of things)so now i'm wondering,how long before the pesticides wash away??? :scratch:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

They probably used Glyphosate on the weeds, so it won't affect the soil - it stays in the plant.

I agree that it's not ideal. But it looks fantastic :cheers:

When will you be starting your veg-box scheme? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

That's a proper sized plot with room for a shed, a greenhouse, compost heap, cold frame, useful wood pile and garden bench and still have growing space. Once you get yourself sorted you'll be saying that you've got too many seedlings and not enough space! :mrgreen: