Weeds underneath a bird feeder

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Weeds underneath a bird feeder

We have a gravelled garden and a bird feeder. I am losing the battle with all the weeds that appear underneath the feeder from the discarded seed. I've tried pulling them up, but they are too little and numerous for that to seem like a good idea for long. I have also tried raking the gravel out of the way and pouring boiling water over the ground - thought that might kill the seeds before they germinate?

Any other ideas? Mustn't involve chemical nasties!
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weeds underneath a bird feeder

A sheet of polythene might be a good idea - the birds can still find the dropped seed, and it's easy to lift and clean off every few days. Taking it even further, you could put the polythene underneath the gravel.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

we get this as well, and we've got 2 feeders so theres soo many seeds growing. my dad reckons its hemp and the cops are ganna come round and arrest us =/

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Stand the bird feeder in the middle of your lawn then you can just mow the weeds.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks everyone. I think our weeds are niger - it's those pesky greenfinches are certainly the messiest!

No lawn MuddyWitch - just gravel, shrubs, pond and raised veggie patch. We've tried moving the thing in the past, but have really only moved the problem!

I can't understand how the *@&%£$ weeds can grow in gravel (with only a layer of builders sand underneath) so successfully, when anything I actually want to grow has to be taken care of so meticulously with the right soil, watering, mulch etc etc!!
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

MKG wrote:A sheet of polythene might be a good idea - the birds can still find the dropped seed, and it's easy to lift and clean off every few days.
hmm, bird s@!£ might be a slight problem in that one...

how about laying a few paving slabs under it, it'll look nicer than polythene, and basically you can make a permanent bird feeder, just make sure you put it somewhere sensible! (depending on local building materials, large patio brick/slate/portland stone, 1.50 x 75, or square, two of those side by side'll clean up all the problem)
hope that helps... it doesn't have to be expensive!
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

eccles
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Chill out let em grow my dogs love em , when they are big enough pull them up.

Cheezy

You can buy sunflower hearts, ie shelled sunflower seeds , these don't grow.

On the seeds I wonder what if you microwaved them , this might effectively make them sterile and kill off the seed so any spilt would not germinate?. Just an idea , I might try it as we suffer from a lot of wheat and barley plants round our feeder.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Millymollymandy

I saved the water that the spuds were boiling in last night to try that on the weeds in my veg patch paths, as we read somewhere or heard it on the telly that it works. Will report back!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cheezy wrote:You can buy sunflower hearts, ie shelled sunflower seeds , these don't grow.

On the seeds I wonder what if you microwaved them , this might effectively make them sterile and kill off the seed so any spilt would not germinate?. Just an idea , I might try it as we suffer from a lot of wheat and barley plants round our feeder.
Not very cost effective that :roll:
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Let them grow! Sounds like your gravel patch could do with a touch of green ;)
When they flower they should encourage a few bees and butterflies and whatnot, and when they go to seed it'll be a bit more bird food :)
Harm None!