Last of the spuds

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Last of the spuds

I've just roasted the last of last year's crop of spuds and reluctantly added potatoes to my shopping list.

But the first of the earlies in the polytunnel are just showing though so the cycle starts again :icon_smile:

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Last of the spuds

I just harvested :shock: my spuds from last year, I didn't get them out before the cold weather then we had such a lot of it and then I presumed they'd be mush however they have survived well in the frozen ground til now :cheers: I'm amazed because it has been so very very cold!

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

we've just one bag left of ours - but himself planted all of this years today :flower:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

Mine were past it just before Xmas! Are you guys talking about maincrops? I've never grown them before but this year I am going to, in the folorn hope my spuds will last for longer than 6 months. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm jealous of anyone who kept a store for the winter. I'm collecting up some brown paper sacks in hope for this year but so far I have 1.

Was looking at the hessian potato storing bags in Betterware catalogue yesterday. Does anyone think these are worth the money? Hessian sack with an extra blackout lining. Holds 5kg and its £5.99 Or would a brown paper sack do just as well?

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

We finished the last of our stored potatoes about a month ago now, although last year was the first time that we have ever kept a significant amount back for seed, they all stored really well, although as OH drives a tanker for a living he is often at farms and gets 'gifted' things from them (like seed potatoes). And if he had his way the entire allotment would be given over to only three veges Spuds, Broccoli and Carrots! :roll:

The First earlies are waiting to go in under our window frame cloches, so hopefully it won't be too many weeks before we are eating our own again... :iconbiggrin:

Lorna x

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

seasidegirl wrote:I'm jealous of anyone who kept a store for the winter. I'm collecting up some brown paper sacks in hope for this year but so far I have 1.

Was looking at the hessian potato storing bags in Betterware catalogue yesterday. Does anyone think these are worth the money? Hessian sack with an extra blackout lining. Holds 5kg and its £5.99 Or would a brown paper sack do just as well?
I always use empty chicken feed bags, mainly because they are free ... well sort of, I suppose I must be paying for the bag when I buy the contents.

I probably have about another months supply of stored maincrop, but I will have to be vigilant and keep removing the shoots. The first earlies are up in the garden and should be ready to start digging the last week of May, plus I have two pots of earlies in the greenhouse which should be ready a couple of weeks earlier but will only provide a couple of meals.
Which leaves about three weeks when we will either have to eat rice and pasta, or bite the bullet and buy a bag of chemical laden shop spuds.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

red

i use smaller paper bags - i collect them off friends and family etc, and re use them. I figure smaller bags - if you get a rotten spud - infects less other spuds
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

gunners71uk

seasidegirl wrote:I'm jealous of anyone who kept a store for the winter. I'm collecting up some brown paper sacks in hope for this year but so far I have 1.

go to your local chippie and ask for some tattie sacks there or go to allotment association shop and when they weigh them out the hessian sacks which are left over will be spare and ask there 6 quid is crazy dont do it ! have a look at this too
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories