SEAWEED ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
confused
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

SEAWEED ?

What about seaweed for the garden , any use .?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: SEAWEED ?

Absolutely - it's fantastic. If you live close enough to the sea to collect washed up seaweed, get loads. Just put it on your garden in the autumn and let it over winter. You can also put some in water to make tea - we add comfrey, nettle and horsetail too for the foulest smelling, but most nutritional brew imaginable :lol:

If you're not near the sea you can get liquid seaweed feed from most garden centres.

Calcified seaweed is a bit different - use it for reducing pH of your soil - prior to planting carrots. And chuck some in the worm bin - the worms like an alkaline environment.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep .. what Maggie said, plus I would add that I would chuck it in a pile somewhere first and play a hose over it for a while to wash some of the salt out, especially important if you intend to keep on using it, for instance in a polytunnel.
Seaweed is one of the best fertilisers going as it contains loads of trace elements that other manure/fertilisers don't have .. and it's free. :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yep, we're planning on gathering bunches of Kelp to go under our raised beds when we build them. Once shredded it will be a nice thick nutrient rich base!

We already have a serious bucked of gloop... errr... rotting seaweed in a bucket with water for sieving later and keeping for fertilizing plants (mostly herbs).

It's particularly easy to harvest at the moment as there has been some storms off the coast and it's all washing onto the beaches!

confused

Superb, i live by the sea, i will fill a couple of buckets , (the big horse muck ones with the rope handles,) eachtime i go up to the lotty, and spread it under my new raised beds .

Big Al

I was told that you could only collect the seaweed that was not attached to anything like rocks etc. Don't know if it's true but there you have it. Mind you coming from Hartlepool our seaweed positivly glows....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

possum

if you have got it, eat it! very nutritious. All seaweed is edible, some just nicer than others. In summer we harvest it here when we go snorkling, anything we dont eat is then chucked on the garden.
Opinionated but harmless

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Where I live, seaweed is most people's fertilizer of choice. Definitely good stuff.

confused

Thanks , i'm now a beach -raker !!

oldjerry

For some reason,especially brilliant on raspberries as a mulch.