what did you do in the vegpatch/allotment

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: what did you do in the vegpatch/allotment

I had a couple of days off this week so I've been quite busy. I bought a small greenhouse and built it and am quite surprised by my industriousness. I weeded the herb garden and dug over the vegetable plots, which took hours and was exhausting!. I orderded some meadow seeds for an planting in an area of the garden I want to be uncultivated, some more seeds from Thompson and Morgan and bought some seed trays in which I'm going to sow peas, carrots and tomatoesnext weekend .

gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

have put a table in me north facing window to put my growing seedling lins on its sort north facing i have a net curtain at the window i have took it down so they can get light would you leave the net curtain up ? shall i rotate me seedlings so they dont bend option 2 would be take to poly tunnel at allotment and put them in mini covered greenhouse in poly tunnel not sure if it be warm enough its not a heated polytunnel any advice be helpful thanks -dave
ps tomatos chilis etc

gunners71uk

fri tidting up a bit after young axholes decided to cause a bit of havoc we have security fencing and they still get over grrr then more forking over the spud patch .
sat mrs g and me had fun in the drizzly rain which stopped then started etc lol mrs g forked over the rhu strawb rasp goos and black currant beds ,
i levelled the rest spud patch ready for forking over its a new allotment not worked for 10-15 years so to turn it round in 6 months fully cultivated withy poly tunnels on is an achieve ment we have two other allotments so we not allotment virgins the newest one is mrs g s we had hot drinks with two other allotmenteers who were down there is always something to do be glad for lighter eves and mr sun x

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

gunners71uk wrote:have put a table in me north facing window to put my growing seedling lins on its sort north facing i have a net curtain at the window i have took it down so they can get light would you leave the net curtain up ? shall i rotate me seedlings so they dont bend option 2 would be take to poly tunnel at allotment and put them in mini covered greenhouse in poly tunnel not sure if it be warm enough its not a heated polytunnel any advice be helpful thanks -dave
ps tomatos chilis etc

I would like to ask the same question about warmth ina polytunnel/greenhouse as on Sunday I put 140 pea seeds out in a mini-covered greenhouse.

After the back breaking work digging over a quarter of the garden for an allotment I decided to buy a garden tiller to do the rest. It arrived today. I bought it from Amazon and it was half price at £99. There were 6 reviews-all from experienced growers so thought I would see what happens and will update you. Sad as it is I can't wait for Saturday to get going.

I ordered some rhubarb and more seeds including meadow seeds for an unkempt part of the garden I would like to stay that way.

I ordered a free book from the RSPB on how to attract birds to the garden from their website and am looking forward to reading it.

I did think about trying to grow mushrooms but needing a bed of horse manure put me off as I don't have a big greenhouse and my partner refuses to let me have horse manure in house. I've already turned the front room, bathroom and loft into mini-greenhouses. Any advice on mushroom growing woulod be gratefully received.

*stuffed*
Tom Good
Tom Good

I watched as Dad put up a mini greenhouse and Mum levelled off some of the more lumpy bits. Told them how I want it laid out (roughly) them did about ten mins of light raking, getting some big stones out of the way before I got tired lol. I should do some digging really....might get baby moving :wink: Feel a bit useless at the moment but loving looking at my shiny new plot even if I can't really do anything :roll:

bonniethomas06

misty44 wrote:
gunners71uk wrote: I did think about trying to grow mushrooms but needing a bed of horse manure put me off as I don't have a big greenhouse and my partner refuses to let me have horse manure in house
God some people are soooo unreasonable! :lol: :lol:

I am quite lucky as my OH is not fussed...so we had manure in the porch (couldn't get the flipping things to grow though :-(( and turkey chicks in the spare room. You just hoover up the soiled sawdust afterwards...no worries!

(sorry landlady if you are reading this)
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

boboff

I am planning on growing mushrooms in Logs. Oyster and Shitake in Oak Logs burried outside, drilled and put in innoculated dowels, waxed and wait for 12 months or so!

Apparently the logs have to be freshly cut, so need to fell some trees first, then I am on to it!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bonniethomas06

What a productive weekend.

Turned over and manured 1/6 of veg beds, planted 4 fruit bushes, cleared and processed the remaining parsnips, cleaned greenhouse and moved things into it, sowed tomatoes, pricked out sweet peppers and lots of other stuff, potted up lots of things and cleaned out the poultry.

Phew! Still so much digging to do though :-( must make more of an effort to do it in the autumn.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

we're (i'm) still clearing our new plot, inherited in feb. so have been slicing turfs off instead of rotavating, which is taking an age, but yesterday got a few strawbs planted out under cover, moved a chunky old blackcurrant bush inside my perimeter, and have freecycled myself a car boot full of clay tiles to use as edging for new beds as they get cleared.

me and the kids are getting up there 3 times a week or so after shool while it's so nice, so the 10 yr old can have a rubber mallet and an edge/hoe to get on with the tiling! the 5 yr old is still de-weeding for me and counting worms! :D

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Intended to cut back some bushes and empty the compost. Actually opened back door, shivered, sneezed, had a coughing fit and came in for a lemsip! Feeling very sorry for myself - beautiful spring day and I feel rotten!

gunners71uk

weds we put in loads of pea plants douce provence and netted them
thurs i limed and forked over area ready for german cabbage and cauli potted on cape goosbery chilis and shuffled stuff about to make more room the red duke of york spuds in poly are doing lovely the red foilage id bootiful we also have 3 rows on out=r allotment wifes opened polytunnels and cold frame on way to work me chilling and going to get some more compost.noticed night time temp is dropping back next week 4-6 c approx chance of frost on higher ground maybe dont get caight out xx dave

gunners71uk

we have watered veg plants stuff in poly tunnel added kitchen scraps to compost heap watered and limed it weeded onions shallots picked rhubarb spring cabbage edge allotment path weeded border of allotment hoed and limed all bean rows dug up al dock leaves all veg watered ate are sarnis and looked at sunny dayplus other stuff me and wifey worked hard

red

today - sowed peas (3rd sowing) picked out seedlings, sowed melon (himself is experimenting) and planted out loads of cabbages of different varieties.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

today, sowed sweetcorn. sunflowers (the kids), broccoli, caulis, cabbages, tomatillos, san marzano and salad toms, cucumbers for pickling, lettuce, tobacco (first ever go!!!) and 6 seeds from last years pink roses ^_^
also marked out beds 6&7 on the allotment and spotted our first strawberry flowers!!!!

planted out a big shallow dish for my kitchen herbs, sainsburys best floppy basil, coriander, curly & flat parsley, thyme and rosemary.
looked all smug and satisfied in the sunshine for a while with a cuppa
searched (unsuccessfully) for a little shed on ebay or freeads :(
remembered the strawberry flower and felt smug again :)

gunners71uk

early thisam at home sowed telephone peas which been sprouted on news paper in modules transplanted loads parsley into window box transplanted toms and the day is syill young lol