what did you do in the vegpatch/allotment

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: what did you do in the vegpatch/allotment

ah, i see! thankyou again :D

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hey gunners! re-shaped and raked raised beds, weeded like stink, sowed caulis and savoy and spring cabbage and peas and broadies and butternuts and courgettes and cukes and melons and runners and I forget what else. It's all a blur. Planted out tomatoes and chillis, lamented over the loss of my celeriac and celery, made a video about growing up strings, rejuvenated the tunnel leaky pipe, fixed a burst pipe, set up the capillary bed, had a BBQ, drank two glasses of vino, END OF STORY!
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Not such a busy day today. Planted salad and potted squash seeds.
Lots of watering though-where are the spring rains??

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Today, as I've done every day for a week, I've moved tons of rubble and sand (from next-door's new garage excavation), topsoil (from the new pond excavation), loam (several year's worth of well-rotted grass mowings) and compost, and dumped it all into the old pond. I'm getting closer, but it's still not filled to the top. I ache. Tomorrow, I'm doing bugger all :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

I also ache from another full day on the plot. Today I have been finishing off the new logstore/woodshed. Last week was spent laying the slabs and today I finished off the roof and guttering which is attached to 2 water butts. Just need some rain to see if it all works.
Tomorrow I intend to start clearing an area for two more raised beds and do a spot of weeding and tidying up.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

we've been up for a few 2.5 hr sessions over the long weekends and even with a 5yr old and 9 yr old we got tons done!
built a fruit cage from canes and netting for bajillions of raspberries and strawberries
planted lots of lettuces, broccoli, spinach and two sunflowers (for the kids to have a bit more healthy competition!)
weeded and dug over two more beds - intended for toms, beets, peas and beans
planted spuds
cleared grass and weeds from the blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes,
marked out three new beds ready for weeding and turning over and planting

i'm very chuffed and my back hurts so i'm off for another cuppa! :D

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

Planted out some tomato plants I was given this morning, in exchange for hen and duck eggs. I had already planted my tomatoes, but these are Roma, plum tomatoes, so a different type. I always think you can never have too many tomatoes - I just love them.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had loads of tomatoes last year, wasted lods really, until I got into making sauces and chutneys, so planting even more this year!

Unortunately haventbeen able to get much done in the grdaen atall for the lastwek or so..... its been bucketing down mostdays, and the only dry spells have been when Ive been away from the house :(

Trying to get the enlarged chicken run finished. no hope, and should be geting 2 more tomorrow or day after. they´ll just have to cramp up for a few days!

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

LOL i have 94 tomatoes this year!
mixture of tomatillos, san marzano's, salad tom and beefsteak big boys! :D
i am giving some baby plants away to neighbours and flogging some at the school fete but i will keep about 30 plants, yum yum in my tum!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We cleared the polytunnel yesterday to plant the tomatoes today. It's so dry in there we've had to soak it 4 times with the hose! And still it's bone dry about 2 inches down. We'll check again and hopefully get them in tomorrow.

I can't remember the last time I used the hosepipe up here - May on the North coast of Scotland should not be this hot :shock:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well,about same-ish here.
Haven't had any rain to speak of for two months.
...So not-Dutch.
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''
(My wife, while playing Lego pirates of the carribean.)

''If you open your mind too far your brain will fall out''

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

I´ve got your rain here!........... actually got patches of garden totally waterlogged, its rained so much recently!. nowhere for it to go to!, and the sun is on its northern hols obviously!
very cold for this time f year too br.. wrapped in 3 layers and dressing gown, when should be t shirt and maybe at this time of night a light jumper.

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

it's been 6 weeks of no rain for me (nr Gatwick) but my friends in surrounding villages have had thunderstorms!
my poor beds are getting regular soakings from and enthusiastic chiddler but they need a visit evry evening just to keep them aloive, wonder if my first harvest will be a puny one :S

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I surveyed the results of my labour last night, and I'm happy to report that we now have something which really does look like a veg. plot in the making rather than an ex-pond being filled in. It's almost flat and, now that I've got rid of a host of bordering shrubs (moved, not destroyed, I hasten to add), I can see that it's BIG and it's quite difficult to see where the pond edges used to be. There's still a lot to do dragging up the old weed-proof membrane (oh gosh - how effective that was[n't]) which is now under a four-inch layer of overgrowth, but I can see I'm nearly there. When that's done, it's going to have a season of top-dressing while I put up the big greenhouse. Oh - and the potting shed. After I've demolished the two ramshackle sheds. And (latest OH idea) shifted the summer-house (a project which may slip for a couple of years if I have anything to do with it).

I did go out and buy a massive mattock for the job - had it not been for that, I would be nowhere near finished. Highly recommended bit of kit.

So Narnia (the front garden complete with lamp-post and lion - I kid you not) is looking OK. Middle Earth (the central wooded garden) is now thinned appreciably and once again getting sunlight to the extent that we can grow some stuff there - and where my new shed/mausoleum now resides. The Shire (the rather extensive top garden) is now taking a shape which would meet with greater approval from Sam Gamgee, water-hater that he was. Even the frog revolution has quietened down a little.

The proposed mini-orchard will slip into place quite easily now, we feel. Isn't it great to have a quiet retirement?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I sowed beetroot, carrot, spinach, radish and parsnip seeds. Planted out butternut squash and courgettes plants and a friend who helps me sorted out one of the six compost bins so that is now full and layered and ready to go, after having prepared the seed beds for me. I've just been up to the field to water everything as it has been scorching hot today and couldn't do it earlier.