Is it possible - Christmas Potatoes

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
agreenmess
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Is it possible - Christmas Potatoes

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has already been asked, i have tried to search. Im looking at buying some "christmas" potatoes to put in at the end of the month/beginning of septemeber, and i currently don't own a greenhouse.

Would it be possible for me to plant them in bags/the ground, or will it be a waste of time???

Many Thanks

Nessy x

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Is it possible - Christmas Potatoes

Not done it, but you would need a greenhouse or the such like because otherwise the potato plant will be killed by the first frost.

Carltonian Man

Some folk on our lottie site claim to get Christmas spuds by sticking odd tubers around the edges of their compost bins

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

I don't grow potatoes but they come up in my compost heap from thrown out spuds,I took out a couple of kilo's when I shifted the heaps over last month and they are growing again,you have given me the idea and I think I will try leaving that heap until Christmas just to see. :flower:

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I personally think it's a waste of time. I did try them one year in the greenhouse and they were a failure, plants just rotted as weather got cooler. If planted now it may be in time for them to make tubers if they evade the blight, but can't see that they'll be like 'new' potatoes even so. But try it and let us know how you get on :mrgreen:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I've done it .. in fact I used to do it on a regular basis years ago, at least 10 years running, but haven't done recently.
It was easy enough if you grew your own early potatoes and had a greenhouse or outhouse that was frost free.
I left one root of the earlies in the ground un-dug until the end of August and then planted 3 or 4 in an old bucket with holes in the bottom.
Then gave the bucket a good watering and left it to it's own devices outside until frost threatened, and then put it in the greenhouse.

There was never a huge crop, usually about half a dozen bantam's egg sized per bucket, but quite nice on Boxing Day with cold turkey. Charlottes would be nice done like that.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

agreenmess
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hmmm, It seems that i would need a greenhouse then :(, sadly dont have one this year, maby next year on the allotment.

Thanks for the advice!!

Nessy x

noplasticbags
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hadn't even thought about trying for Christmas potatoes (last year I tried normal summer ones in bags on the patio - really not worth all the effort) - but tempted to try on in the conservatory now - will report back.............