Too late for Rhubarb?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Geebogs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Too late for Rhubarb?

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:40 am

Our rhubarb has grown quite large while away on holiday. It has many massive stems on it but I've always thought that they can't be harvested after the end of June due to the oxalic acid seeping into the stems and making them unusable. I don't know what variety we have as the root was given to us a couple of years ago (do you even get late fruiting rhubarb?)

Now, do I,
Use whats on there? (Om nom nom :icon_smile: )
Thin it back leaving half a dozen stems or so and chuck what I get off of it on the compost?
Or just leave it for this year and be more vigilant next year, picking all that I can?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Too late for Rhubarb?

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:00 pm

It's very late for rhubarb, Geebogs. You may find that a lot of those stems are hollow and fibrous. If they're not, by all means pick some of them and use them (even at that stage, they're still OK for wine, by the way).

The reason for the cessation of picking, by the way, has nothing to do with oxalic acid, which is present at all stages of the plant's development - it really is, as you've already pointed out, to give the plant a chance to gather its resources for the following year's growth.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Geebogs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks Mike,

Although they are a tiny bit on the fibrous side (nothing a little stewing for crumble won't fix), they are by no means hollow.
I think I'll pick half and let the plant have the rest. Although, there are a good few new shoots coming up already. When do these thing s stop growing!?

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:32 am

About April, when it stops raining. :(

Gonna chuck mine as it's a waste of space and nothing to pick as it spends all winter in hibernation and all summer in hibernation. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I have loads of good rhubarb stems - picked some for friends the day before yesterday. I can usually pick from end of February through to end of September. Tons of new stems appearing each week still.

pelmetman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 pm

As long as the stems are OK we always carry on picking as and when needed, once stewed they taste just fine.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy