Politics and religion........

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Politics and religion........

We would like to remind members that we are living in interesting and difficult times. People come to Ish for all sorts of reasons and want talk about what is going on in the world - inevitably they won’t always see eye to eye. We don’t want to censor, or stifle, debate but would ask that members consider whether their comments have the potential to unduly offend other users before posting and, on the other hand, try not to be too offended at posts they don’t agree with.

Recently we, the mods, have found ourselves in the position of having to remove several threads because of their inflammatory nature (intended or otherwise).

So we want to discourage views from extremes of political or religious thought, without having to ban any topics outright. We feel that if everyone adhered to Ish rules the reporting mechanisms that are already in place should be sufficient for the occasional transgression. The rules are here http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 17&t=11583 for anyone needing a reminder

We rely very much on the consideration of our members to keep within the spirit or our rules so we don't have to go down the route of censoring debate. Remember that we mods are all volunteers and asking us to referee in such matters is more than should be expected of us. We have a big enough job fighting the spam war!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Politics and religion........

This would seem a good opportunity to let the mods realise how much their efforts are appreciated.

(that's the crawling done with......!.)

Seriously,this site is different from 99% of all the rest because of them,and though some seriously thoughtful threads have resulted from some of the 'contentious' subjects I can see where GA is coming from and I,for one, shall be a very good boy henceforth.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Everyone has the right to a view, opinion or belief on subjects like religion/politics or whatever, which is healthy. The problem arises when they try an force their opinions etc on others which can undermine or belittle. Nobody has the right to do that and the Moderaters sensibly removed the post.

Well done.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

boboff

I don't believe in Moderators.
They are a construct to keep the prolatariat in check. :icon_smile:
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

SEVERAL threads removed???? Just shows how much I miss :iconbiggrin:

The one I'm aware of was threatening to become interesting - but I do agree with the mods in that instance. However, I'd be wary of labelling religion and politics as unacceptable subjects (not that anyone has) - they are, after all, parts of our lives.

Mike

EDIT: Ah - just noticed another one gone. That one puzzles me.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

what post, where?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Millymollymandy

I don't read the stuff about politics or religion as I'm not on this forum for that! So glad I'm not a mod anymore as I don't have to read anything that I don't want to .... :lol: Well done you guys! :salute:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Big Al

boboff wrote:I don't believe in Moderators.
They are a construct to keep the prolatariat in check. :icon_smile:
I have a big red pen, can I be a mod please :iconbiggrin:

I go on a prepping site amongst others and virtually all of them ban politics and religeon for obvious reasons as outlined in GA 's post but people on here are more or less a bit more balanced... well except the few that are wind up merchants, :icon_smile:

I'll also take the opportunity to gush my thanks to the mods. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Seems to me that adopting an -ish lifestyle is certainly a political choice, and may also evidence religion at it's best as well.

I totally get what the moderators are saying, but it would be a shame if the ethical choices we make because of our religious and/or political world-views were edited out because of a few idiotic trolls. I declare an interest; I am an undenominated Christian (which simply means I won't join any of the mutual admiration societies that have hijacked my faith), and a Green party enthusiast ever since way back when they were the Ecology Party. I feel my religion informs my politics, and my politics informs my religion. It's a happy coincidence of trains of thought that makes for firm moral foundation by which to judge the world, it's dealings, and doings. So, to summarise a whole lot of contemplation, I conclude that an -ish lifestyle is what provides the best for people, and their environment, and therefore an -ish lifestyle is what a God constrained by His ultimate goodness must actually want for us.

Heckle me if you want; I'd enjoy the debate.

Best wishes to all of you, 2RM.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Looking at the thread title, I note neither politics nor religion are specifically mentioned in the rules, I'm glad to say.

Politics have a profound effect on our lives, even though my experience is that politics doesn't actually cater that much for ishers of any degree, whether -ish-ishers or ultra-ishers. We should all work towards changing this where appropriate and so sensible discussions about political implications related to ishism are extremely welcome in my opinion. I'd say there's not enough discussion but obviously that reflects the membership.

There's a whole section, 'Environmental Issues', which is the appropriate place: its title denotes its limit.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Sadoldhippy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I would have to say that I think politics and religion have a huge impact on my life personally (pagan, eco-anarchist) and on all of us more generally. That said they are subjects which can lead to some very heated discussions. I think the point is that we should try to be respectful of one another on here even if we disagree, although I do know how hard this can be, especially when you consider someone's political worldview or religion responsible for much of the damage.

So all in all much respect to the mods and I am just glad I am not in their shoes.
My blog: http://environmentchaos.blogspot.co.uk
Comments appreciated :-)

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Politics and to a lesser degree invade all our lives at one point or another. However, I find that most political arguments tend to go round in circles. I post on a building forum (this place is much better by comparission, for example the majority there seem to be in favour of covering the country in nuclear power stations to solve all our problems). Recently there has been a thread all about Mrs Thatcher with the argument going on for 13 or 14 pages as to wether she was the country's saviour or the spawn of Satan and not a single person has changed their views. There have been similiar threads about religion again with the same result so I am all in favour of trying to leave politics and religion alone on this site.

Pette

boboff

Indeedy, if we all become middle of the road liberals, listening to each others views and ammedning ours accordingly we will all live in peace and Haromony, side by side on my piano, oh Lord, why can't we.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

boboff

boboff wrote:Indeedy, if we all become middle of the road liberals, listening to each others views and ammedning ours accordingly we will all live in peace and Haromony, side by side on my piano, oh Lord, why can't we.

Innit?

jcfarms
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Middle of the road liberals? Are they the same as middle of the road conservatives? Personally I think it's admirable that people can argue a point based on logic, and facts. As this is my first post here, I cannot really comment on how this site works in regards to this, but I look forward to finding out.