Growing in Greenhouses

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Growing in Greenhouses

Hi All,
I am very new to greenhouse growing, I have started off with about 35 various types of Tom plants, melons and cucumbers. I also have a few strawberry plants and some small plants that I am growing on a bit before I take to the allotment.

What I am not sure of is, will I need to pollinate the flowers on my plants with a small brush or will nature take its course?

Thank you all very much.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Growing in Greenhouses

Crikey, 35 tomato plants. It might get a tad crowded in there. You might need to take some out - you could put some in growbags outside, or in the garden.

You don't need to pollinate them, just open the door regularly and the insects will do it all for you. You need to make sure it's well ventilated or you'll run the risk of blight - especially if it's a bit overcrowded.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

thesunflowergal

Thanks Maggie, not many insects go in there. They are all in pots so they can be moved around at a later date :iconbiggrin:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've been giving my toms a bit of a gentle shake, worked with my indoor toms last year and seems to be working with my greenhouse lot.

boboff

Put the stakes in now, mine have all fallen over! Wish I had staked them when I planted them.

I am RUBBISH with tomatoes!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

grahamhobbs

I use stakes because of the shape of my polytunnels but strings from above if you have something high enough to suspend them from are far better, simply twist the tomato stem round them as they grow.

gregorach

I've never found any need to resort to hand pollination for my greenhouse tomatoes... The auto-vents open every day, and I must get enough pollinators in that way.
Cheers

Dunc