Slugs

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Slugs

With all the damp weather I've heard many complaints about slugs this year. I know I am tempting fate, but strangely I haven't found it like this, in fact it seems to be getting less of a problem. Now as I don't use slug pellets or anything like that any more I was reflecting on why that might be.
When I took on my current allotment about 12 years ago it was a major problem for a number of years. One year I planted 50 pumpkins out to see all but 5 eaten by slugs. I would regularly go out of a wet night and catch 300 to 400.
I never wanted to use traditional slug pellets, but tried the new 'organic' ones only for them to gobbled up by the mice or rats in one night. I used to use beer traps with modest success, but as I say now I don't use anything.
The plot is basically run on a no-dig basis with 1m wide beds with grass paths in between. The beds are mulched with horse manure or municipal compost each year. I try to keep the paths well mown and because of the mulch there are few weeds, which are not allowed to develop but there are plenty of self-seeded marigolds and nasturtiums.
I try to ensure that things are well-hardened off before they are planted out.
The plot next to mine is totally overgrown.
Is it all a happy throw of the dice or do others have similar experiences with no-dig, well mulched beds?

PS. Can't say the same for the rest of the wildlife, in particular the squirrels. Sorry another aside, with the hosepipe ban I couldn't hose the blackfly off my late broad beans - no problem, although some were well infested within a week or so the ladybirds had cleared them.