buckets

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

buckets

I was in my little local florists/greengrocers the other day and saw a great pile of black buckets stacked in the corner. I cheekily asked if I could have some and the florist said I could have as many as I wanted as all the cut flowers came in them and they all ended up going to the tip...she gave me about 40 ,which I gave out on the allotments...she also said please would I keep going back for more as they were just a nuisance. I thought maybe other people would be interested in a free source of large(ish), sturdy plant containers, as I am sure other florists are in a similar position..it's amazing they don't seem to reuse them, and they've all got a glut after valintines day

rhyddid

Re: buckets

Last edited by rhyddid on Mon May 02, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Another source of foodgrade buckets (about 1 gallon size) with lid, is wherever they sell laver bread at T***o, possibly other outlets. Most weeks I ask, I get several of them. The latest ones are the same proportion as plant pots. I use them for all sorts, and will for planting before long.
Another useful bit of 'rubbish' is film containers from highstreet film developers. Punch some holes in the bottom and use for starting seedlings. You could also cut the base off and the use the lidded end as a base (with holes, and if the lid is flat) and you can then push the plug through when planting up.
A very good way to get seedlings off to a good start is with sprinkling a generous layer of perlite on top of the seed compost. The medium is sterile so less chance of damping off, and when the root starts growing down it finds soil. The light colour of the perlite also makes for a less leggy seedling if light is low, especially good on a window scill, as it gets reflected light from below. Some use pure perlite, but its expensive, imported, uses energy in the production, and I find they don't do so well in perlite after they outgrow their food store. The perlite can be sterilised and reused. A pressure cooker is ideal, perhaps get an old aluminium one from a charity shop specially for the purpose. If you are worried about aluminium, you can put a s/s liner in, then the perlite won't have direct contact. Also suitable for soil etc. If you want to transplant bare rooted seedlings then pure perlite is better, as you just shake out the container, less damage to the roots that way. You can leave any grains on the root as it helps to retain moisture for the growing plant.
Greetings from Judy of the Woods