So glad this wasn't my first year growing veg

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

So glad this wasn't my first year growing veg

Title pretty much says it all. Just pulled up the tomato plants thanks to most of them giving in to blight.

Of all the things I've planted in the garden, we've got one healthy Brussels sprout plant left, I've had about 1lb of red tomatoes, a handful of potatoes, plenty of watercress, and spinach, and just today managed to pick my *first* courgette. Slugs, lack of sun, a cabbage white got past the netting, white fly and more slugs...

I've lowered my expectations to getting enough home grown veg for Christmas dinner. :santa:

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: So glad this wasn't my first year growing veg

You know I've said exactly the same this year, so much has been a waste of time, space and effort. Tomatoes reasonable but nothing like the usual yields, no courgettes or butternut squash, very poor sweet potatoes, rubbish sweetcorn etc............. :( On the plus side I've a freezer full of runner beans and perpetual spinach :cheers:
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I know exactly what you mean. I picked my first patty pan squashes this weekend. I think they're also my last but, hey, at least I had some. I managed to grow some tiny onions and some ok garlic. First time I've grown either so reasonably happy. Just a shame that everything else was rubbish.

Zoe

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I think I must have been lucky reading posts here and on other forums. Apart from my first, second and third sowings of carrots and my only sowing of beetroots, everything here has been good. I did finally get blight in my polytunnel, but cleared the plants out a couple of weeks ago and managed to save all the tomato fruits some eaten fresh, some turned into delicious sauce and the last few kilos are ripening now.Some of my butternut squashes, not sure of the type, are a foot long. I've just bought 24 winter lettuce plants to put in the polytunnel to join the last of the cucumbers, aubergines, salad leaves, herbs, courgettes and peppers. Just hope the polytunnel lasts the winter - cover a bit dodgy now and will be replaced in the Spring.