Source of large, strong UV-resistant bags/sacks?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Source of large, strong UV-resistant bags/sacks?

Hello
We have just taken over an additional half allotment next to our original half. It is very overgrown with perennial weeds - mainly mugwort, but also couch and a dandelion or 100. The original half, which we have had for two years, is also far from clear - the worst bit being where the perennial weeds were ploughed in before we took over!

Anyhoo, the soil is sandy silt and easy to dig except when very dry, which is a real bonus. Dandelions are not at all hard to remove! Realistically, we think we should cover a large amount of it to smother the weeds, and have chosen Mypex for this (not yet bought). But we are digging lots of mugwort root out - too much to drown - and the best option seems to be to rot them in black plastic sacks.

My questions are:

Does anyone know of a source of good sacks that don't break down just before the weed roots do, as has usually happened for me?!
If they are UV-resistant, we could also use them to weigh down the Mypex, and save some money on pegs. (Luckily the folks on this allotment don't object to such things.)

Any further viable organic ideas for this scale of perennial weed clearing? We don't have a mower at the allotment, or just keeping some of it mown might be an option - and perhaps it is one we should look into. We do have an Austrian scythe, which is fantastic for clearing tall growth, but it doesn't cut grass.

We also have rabbits to contend with.

Many thanks for any ideas!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Source of large, strong UV-resistant bags/sacks?

You could always try those 1 tonne sacks that are used for delivering sand to building sites as they end up in the skip anyway (H&S means they can now only be used once) , they are strong and not affected by UV but not waterproof.
Alternatively use standard builders rubble bags , ok so they aren't uv stable but will last a year and you could always double bag if you're worried.

Pete

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Hi Muddy, welcome to the forum! Where abouts in Worcs are you?

There's a plastic bag manufacturer near where I live in Malvern. (Hado, Spring Lane Ind Est) (shop on site)

I've used the white rubble sacks to cart Manure and green waste to and from my allotment, some have been in use since 2008 and only a couple of quid for 20. Even better, they produce polythene flower/plant pots in various sizes which saves a load of space in the potting shed when they're not being used.

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/viewc ... d=13248587

I've used a tarp to scorch off the surface weeds (Needs a couple of inches clearance from the ground and a week or twos sunshine).
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Skippy: I like the idea of using those bags you mention (if not waterproof, the contents can rot aerobically), but haven't got good scavenging skills, nor do I know of any building sites where I might ask. Sandbags are very similar, and might do it, too. We'd prefer not to use stuff that can't be re-used, as we'll be using quite a lot, and don't want to add too much to landfill. I'm sure we'll have further use for them!

Davie Crockett: We're in the Vale of Evesham. I can't see the white rubble sacks you mention on the site - can you point me to them? It does look like it has some good products. I was looking for soft polythene pots the other day as I was using them for starting off broad beans. I bought some about 7 years ago, and they haven't degraded at all (different type, but same idea).

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you can't find a building site or merchants to scrounge the bags there is always the unthinkable (buying them!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-FIBC-BUIL ... 4cfbbbdf1c

Pete

Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yes, we do have some of those, and I spent some of yesterday putting old bags of rotting down roots in for double bagging. I accept that we may have to buy (even more!) materials and am happy to do so, but what I'm really looking for is UV-resistant bags that will last and can be re-used *and are small enough to use as weights* on the Mypex. Preferably like medium-sized bin-bags, but strong and lasting. The big builders' bags are great for some of our needs, but no-one seems to advertise bags for sale as UV-resistant - except sand bags, which may be our only option. I am so sick of bags breaking down before the job is done, and will always be able to re-use them. Realistically, it is a recurring problem, after all!

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Will bags that you buy compost in, or bags I get coal in do the job?

I have thousands! ( Hate throwing them away!)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

>Will bags that you buy compost in, or bags I get coal in do the job?

Yes, they probably would if we had any! We stockpiled them for years, then cut them up to mulch a large area of ground elder, which was only partially effective. (I then used this as the first argument for getting chickens, which my OH wasn't keen on at all. He now wouldn't be without the hens and they have finished off the ground elder, and a fair chunk of the lawn, too.) We try to buy as little compost as possible, and being blessed with large quantities of leaf mould every year, have good ingredients for mixing our own seed compost.

So yes, if you were just around the corner from us and a load of such bags to apare, we'd be over in a flash to pick them up! I hate things going to landfill, and our sheds are a mess as a result...

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Muddy, The white bags don't appear to be listed on the on line shop. Click the retail shop icon, They are in the right hand (as you look at it) pic in the tray on the end of the display. (in rolls of 10/20).

I'm frequently in Evesham on duty (paramedic). I could drop some in to you when I'm on roving cover. PM me with your address If you want me to get you some.

boboff

Could you put an ad up? Freecycle or Newsagent, speak to Nurceries/coal merchants/Food manufacturers in your local area?

If you are ever near Tavistock in Devon, I am only 5 miles away! I have a wardrobe full! I keep them and they do come in handy moving things around.

Where you use them as ground cover, what do you put on top? Do you find the fact that water can't drain an issue?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Davie Crocket - thanks, I will look at the bags again, and may take you up on your kind offer if they look like the right thing!

Boboff - I don't know who to ask, and imagine Freecycle would throw up one or two here or there, but probably not a whole wardrobe full, although I could be wrong. And we need them very soon before we get totally over faced with all this allotment acreage and all its weeds... We love Devon and Cornwall and I am a West Country lass originally (just - grew up in Bristol) but sadly, we don't wander down that way often enough.

When we used old compost bags as ground cover we used old bits of concrete and broken bits of bricks to hold them down. The bags weren't really big enough, the stones weren't heavy or numerous enough, and yes - I think the roots beneath would have rotted down more quickly if the cover had been permeable! Instead, the new shoots sneaked through the gaps...

Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Davie Crockett: I see I need to have posted 25 posts before I can use PMs - that's 16 to go (well, 15 after this).

The white rubble sacks do look interesting - how big are they (ish)?

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think you'll probably find most bags will decay if left outside in the sun. It's more a matter of how long until they do. I've got quite a few bags outside with sand or whatever in and have found that the woven types seem to fare the worst falling to bits in a year or two. Simple plastic ones will last longer but will still fall apart. However, if they are covered in a tarp or something to block out the light they will last much much longer. Perhaps the best route would be to ask for some on freecycle frequently and replace them all every year (yes I know it seems a waste but better than constantly picking up little bits of plastic).

Pete

Muddy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yes, most will decay quickly, but not all. That's why I'm asking ;) Some will be covered to block out the light, but we need others to use as weights to hold mypex down so we don't need quite so many staples!

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life

The white rubble sacks do look interesting - how big are they (ish)?
From memory, the laid flat size is about 20"x 36" or thereabouts. I'll PM you with my mobile No