Hedgehogs?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hedgehogs?

How much space would be needed to keep a pair of hedgehogs.

I am wondering if it would be possible to keep a pair on an allotment plot to keep the slugs and snails down.

I know they are re homing hundreds of hedgehogs from the isle of Uist where they are eating all the ground nesting birds eggs.

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hedgehogs?

I don't know about 'keeping' hedgehogs. If there are hedgehogs around and there's food on your allotment, they'll soon find it and add you to their feeding route. But there lies your potential problem - hedgehogs will wander between 2 and 4 kilometers in a night, so you won't be able to restrict them to your allotment.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Have you got a little pond or any water close by? Even a washing up tub will help attract wildlife. You could build a hedgehog box too, although I think they are mainly for hibernation.

I've heard ducks are really good for keeping down slugs and snails, would that be a possibility?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have a look at St Tiggywinkles for all the information you could ever want to know about hedgehogs. I used to release hedgehogs for various rescues, but we had 5 acres of woodland backing on to 30 acres so as the hedgepigs could make a new safe home