My cup runneth over....

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

My cup runneth over....

....or at least my polytunnel does. Having been distracted by helping my daughter start her bakery, OHs health issues and generally being just plain fed up, the polytunnel rather ran away from us. So we cleared it out in early spring and started from scratch - the idea being to use it as a mini forest garden, with citrus trees (they don't do well in the house because of the central heating,
in winter), other fruit trees (we found several ailing specimens still in packets that we forgot about), fruit bushes (ditto) and tomatoes and other usual polytunnel/greenhousey stuff.

What we didn't account for were all the self-set nasturtiums, parsnips and cauliflowers! We're eating the nasturtiums as fast as we can but the place is packed. Oh, and we have a baby lemon tree that has self-set from from one of the fallen lemons - how did that happen, the lemons are not much bigger than a pip.
DSCF0762a.jpg
DSCF0762a.jpg (221.75 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My cup runneth over....

You mean that's what your tunnel looks like after weeks and weeks of neglect? It looks like something I would have been pleased to call "Fine".

Perhaps I should take up knitting.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, Mike, this is planned + extras.

I'm sure it was on here I read that parsnips were quite difficult to start - not here, they start themselves. The trouble is we don't have the heart to pull up the self sets, so they're in addition to everything we deliberately planned. It has rather buggered up any rotation, with caulis, parsnips and red mustard sprouting all over.
Maggie

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm rather intrigued Maggie, to get self seeded parsnips rather implies that you allowed at least one parsnip to flower. I never grow enough to be that wanton as to leave one or more at the end of the season. Roast parmesan coated parsnip soup is a big hit here and I never grow enough for soup and Sunday roast to last all winter.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm jealous. Never, in the entirety of my life, have I ever managed to get a parsnip past germination. Not a single one.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

When my OH cleared the polytunnel, in the spring, the parsnip plants were up to the roof - 8' something!

We had, quite literally, left it to its own devices for over a year and that's what happened. And that's why we haven't got the heart to pull them - I've no idea what they'll be like because I'm guessing they'll be the grandchildren of the ones we planted.
Maggie