Allotment thefts,how can we prevent?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Allotment thefts,how can we prevent?

Hi all,
Our allotments are new,only opened last year and we were lucky enough to have one.Unfortunately on Thursday this week,we recieved news,that our allotments were broken into,and out of 60 sheds,58 had their doors jemmied open,which in effect have damaged all the doors!!!This is the second time in a year this has happened,and atm we are seriously considering giving up our lottie!
Apparently the thieves cut through the 6ft chain link fence.Some people have had items stolen,others just the doors damaged and nothing taken.
I really don't know what to do about this.We have nothing of value in our shed,just pots and seeds and old cheap gardening tools.We had a padlock (which the thieves cut off).We have thought about leaving the shed unpadlocked but really,I dont like the thought of anyone just being able to open the door.Its an infringement of our privacy.
Has anyone any ideas how we can make our allotments safer,and keep our sheds secure?Anyone got any hidden camera's on their plots?We dont have electricity on our site,and we can't have a generator either through fear it will be stolen.
I'd be grateful for any ideas or advice please,thankyou in advance!

ina

Re: Allotment thefts,how can we prevent?

Sorry to hear about this nightmare - but I can't come up with any ideas, either... Apart from a night watch! Maybe a voluntary night watch system, like neighbourhood watch? Is the allotment site far away from built up area?

What does the police say? (Probably nothing much...)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

happyhippy

Yes it is in a abit of a out of town place,a short walk from town.The police has been informed,and have dealt with it,but they can;t be at the allotments all the time (wish they could lol).

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't think securing each shed will be of much use if the entire site is easy to access. I know a lot of allotments, these days, have good quality security fencing all round and are gated with keys for each tenant. While I'm sure it wouldn't deter the most dedicated thieves, it will put off most of the opportunistic ones.

The problem is though, that allotments often have a transient population so getting people to cough up for security measures, knowing they may not stay, will be difficult. Is it a Council owned allotment? They might be willing to fence it (although it might mean a small increase in rent).

It might be worth asking the police if they have any suggestions - I'm sure their Crime Prevention Officer would be willing to do a walk round and offer suggestions.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

doofaloofa

My plan;

All the tennants hide in thiesr sheds at night dressed in scary costume, like zombies or something

Eventually you will catch a thief in action, it is then you all emrge from your hiding places and scare the crap out of the thief

Word will soon spread

Srsly though...

Any lock will be be bypassed if the thieves have plenty of time and little fear of getting caught, and despite the uplesentness of geting burgled at least an open door will not get broken

A neighborhood watch would be the mesure that could be enacted soonest with the least ammount of financial contribution

After a month or two of intensive guarding potential thieves will soon move on to somewhere less risky

Theses onerous duties usually fall to the most community minded members of the group, but can be fun and bonding

Can you get leccy installed?

Simple motion activated security lights can be very effective.

The Lidl were selling night vision security cameras that took a still every minuit or so, battery powered

But I'd still go with the fake zombie appocalypse plan if I were you ;)
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

It'll take a a while,but you need decent thorn hedging.Who ever owns the allotment be they council or private needs to look at the fencing in the meantime.
As for the police,58 local people have been broken into..........

happyhippy

Thanks for your replies.Had a giggle at the all hiding in the sheds comment!Unfortunately most of us work and would rather be tucked up in our warm beds getting much needed rest!lol
Some allotmenteers have been patrolling,but only around 8pm (ish)and we think this happened in the middle of the night.We do have secure gates,and 6 ft high chain fencing but they cut a huge hole in it!And I mean huge! :oops:
Actually the thorny hedge idea is a really good one.They have planted shrubs around the inside perimeter,but atm I am unsure what these shrubs are?We are holding a meeting this Friday night so I will bring that up!
The security camera's from Lidl is also a very good idea,so will look into that one too!We have a FB page so it would be good if the perpetrators were caught red handed on camera to put these pics up and see if anyone recognises them!THanks peeps,if you can think of anything else,fresh idea's please let me know,I really appreciate it!

doofaloofa

Is there a local Neighborhood Watch?

They might keep an eye out

You may have to bribe them with carrots mind

happyhippy

Hmm not really sure about the neighbourhood watch thing?I will check that out though so thanks for mentioning it Doof!

Crastney
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

signs warning of 'concealed CCTV in use' or something similar, with a few solar powered motion sensitive security lights.

"well I can't see any cameras?... that's because they're concealed! How do I know that I'm not on camera somewhere if the camera's are hidden?! might not decide to burgle this place after all...What's that over there? that's a light isn't it? could be a camera though! lets walk around the perimieter... Ow my eyes! goddamit they're bright lights! lets get outta here quick!"
Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!

boboff

My POV for what its worth, don't lock things up.

You know what was stolen, dont leave those things lying around, mark up whats left with ID and leave the doors unlocked.

Plus lights, dummy cameras with batteries and flashing lights and a big Spotlight with motion sensor.

Does make you angry mind.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

ina

Big signs on the sheds: "Smile, you are on (hidden) camera!" :)
Ina

doofaloofa

or...

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

or.....................................

http://undergroundmgzn.com/wp/wp-conten ... 27316i.jpg

ina

Oh yeah... :mrgreen:
Ina