Bending the rules on selfsufficienish on growing own veg

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Bending the rules on selfsufficienish on growing own veg

Due to illness I have not been able to grow my young plants this year.
I knew this at the turn of the year so I ordered my plants from a independent grower.
I really do enjoy my home grown stuff. I just hope I can manage to plant up my beds ok.
I have 275 plants coming soon. An assortement so it's like a lucky dip. Good job I like most veg.
I have 14 out of my 24 beds ready for planting and hopefully another 6 ready by the end of next week ( I need to get my act together now I am feeling better and do a bed a day)
I haven't sown any seeds direct either yet. I think I will see what I get in my surprise allotment bundle and sow direct to fill in the gaps. Still a bit of tidying needed too.
The thought of home made rhubarb crumble will get me down there later.
I love it when I can bring lovely stuff home.
I am a pick and plant girl.
I try and plant any gaps as soon as they appear.
I know I am bending the rules by getting ready to plant seedlings but it's the only way I was growing my own this year.
I feel a lot better after my confession and I can still enjoy my home grown stuff.
Have a good browning season everyone.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Bending the rules on selfsufficienish on growing own veg

I don't think there any rules for being self-sufficientish pumpkinpie - you can do whatever suits you :iconbiggrin: :thumbright:
I've been known to buy a few plants as well. Sometimes it's the only way to get the things you want growing in time :wink:

Good luck with all your veg this year, and enjoy whatever you manage to grow :icon_smile: :sunny:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Don't tell anyone pumkinpie, but I don't think there are any rules really. The whole point of being 'Ish (certainly as far as I'm concerned) is that you do what you can in your given circumstances. So that could be anything from growing a few herbs on your high-rise windowsill to full scale small-holding, if you're lucky enough to have the land (and the fitness). Or, of course anywhere in between.

I'm one of the Mods of this group and if we had to adhere to any rules about growing everything from scratch or only eating what you produce I'd probably have been chucked out years ago. :lol:

I was nursing my mother24/7, at the time when we usually plan and sow many of our stuff, so my OH did most of it. We've got most of our tomatoes, chillies and onions sorted (I think he was craving pasta with tomato sauce at the time :lol: ) but we'll be buying sweet pepper plants this year and a lot of other stuff as well.

So enjoy your crops, as and when they grow and don't worry what anyone else is doing - we don't!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Don't feel bad about thinking you have been bending the rules, you have made an effort. Hope you stay well for the rest of the season.

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Thanks folks.
I will do what I can and enjoy what I grow.
Happy growing.
Rhubarb crumble tomorow for tea. Mine is looking fantastic.

doofaloofa

people!

The first rule on selfsufficienish on growing own veg is you don't talk about selfsufficienish on growing own veg
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln