A willow or natural timber archway...

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
tom_birmingham
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

A willow or natural timber archway...

I am thinking about at the moment making an archway into the stone part of my garden, it goes into the shady area and it's where we are planning to sit in the mornings, its a nice little spot but splitting the vegetable patch and the stone area is a trellis which has seen better days and an archway from a garden centre which probably has 2 years left in it. One of my ideas was constructing my own archway from timber or willow sticks, then I can next year improve the soil below it and potentially grow the green beans or smaller pumpkins up it.

Has anyone got any ideas, I am not keen to do a living willow archway but would be open to any other ideas, websites or plans - ideally the wood would be naturally treated allowing it to stay there a while, it's more of a little fun project rather than a need for frugality but I do think it would like nice constructed properly. Something like this but a lot more higgledy would be best.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... :1o5|bku:1

Thanks,

Tom
http://www.selfandroots.wordpress.com - chipping away at finding a life of simplicity in Birmingham, UK.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A willow or natural timber archway...

I have a book called Bentwood Trellis, it is really interesting and shows you how to make things from young saplings and poles from the hedgerow, I am sure if you google Bentwood trellis, you will find some ideas

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

My experiance using willow out doors is after one year the structure is pretty weak, after two there is nothing left

I do live in a very wet area, but even so I wouldn't rely on willow long term outside

Personally I'd go for a metal framework, and periodically weave fresh willow in if you want the look of willow
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

boboff

My bit is wet, and my "arch" which is more like a tunnel, is massive! It needs annual attention, but I think looks lovely. Plus all the trimming make new hedges.

My tip is plant the sticks through Mypex, dipper and drop, water and wait, they take pretty quick, make sure you only leave a small amount of leaves, as this is an indication of health, and if you leave them all on they die, and the twig looks sad and dead.

Year after take down to 6 to 8 inches, fill in gaps with cuttings. These then form bushier trees. Repeat at 12 - 16 inches year two if you want it thicker. Once you have the right amount of uprights at the correct height, bridge them across and cable tie them three on each pair. They will eventually grow into each other. The top of the arch will then send up loads more branches which you can then tie in across the top of the arch / tunnel.

Mine got hit with black fly last year, they recovered ok, but have some scaring.

The willow is right on the river bank, so obviously it's pretty ideal for them.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

tom_birmingham
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for this - lovely to get some tips ! Wishing you all a pleasant weekend.
http://www.selfandroots.wordpress.com - chipping away at finding a life of simplicity in Birmingham, UK.