Sowing seeds late

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Schitzwa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sowing seeds late

Sorry if this is a repeated question but I bought my first propagator today and it came with some seeds. Unfortunately the seeds (tomato and pepper) instructions say not to sow until April/may time. So I was stuck with just the lettuce. Is it ok to sow them now? Or should guide months always be followed?

Thanks

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sowing seeds late

Well, we have one member here Odsox who grows tomatoes all year round in his house. I don't do it because I have limited window sill space to do it and my house is not always warm enough as we live in cold squalor. You can sow lettuce now, is your propagator an electric one? lettuce can be grown on a sunny windowsill now, you don't need a propagator for it as there is enough warmth to grow. I only use my propagator from January through to April. I start off things like peppers, aubergines which need a long growing season and tomatoes I want to get going for May use. You could always sow a few tomatoes and pepper seeds if you wanted to and try and keep them going in your house over the winter, you don't need to sow all the seeds

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As DnD said, you don't need to use a propagator during the warmer months, it's just a very useful aid to germinate seeds in the first few cold months of the year.
Lettuce would be OK to sow now and if you're feeling adventurous and you have a south facing window in a warm room, then by all means sow a tomato seed. If it's a cordon variety then if you restrict it to 2 trusses it won't take over your room and will be just like any other pot plant.
If it dies then you have only wasted one free seed, so worth a try.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

It all depends... I think my basil seeds took about two months to germinate - and that was partly in a propagator, and at the right time of year! My house is so cold, I actually had the heated propagator on at times throughout the so-called summer. And if I did tomatoes from scratch, I would sow them earlier than April, to give them a fighting chance. As I say, depends on your house, how warm you keep the rooms, and how much sun you get in your windows.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Schitzwa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for your reply.

It's not an electric propagator, just a plastic thing. It cost £10 in a kit from B&Q with seeds, pots and compost (yes I am that much of a newbie). I've just put them in the front porch (which is an oven!). I have no idea what way any of my windows face..I'll have to buy a compass :iconbiggrin:
Propagator :-)
Propagator :-)
11954681_10155974908630554_2226975541741057719_n.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 4973 times

ina

Schitzwa wrote: I have no idea what way any of my windows face..I'll have to buy a compass :iconbiggrin:
Just look at the sun! :sunny:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I start my tomatoes on Boxing Day often. It's a nice gentle thing to do after the excesses of Christmas Day!

If you've put them in a sunny porch I'd take the lid off, they may just be too hot.

But it's all so exciting watching things grow. Love it.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

John Headstrong
Site Geek
Site Geek
Facebook Name: John Headstrong

there is always the ever reliable realseeds http://realseeds.co.uk/summersowing2.html summersowing guide.

I was also planning getting early with tomatoes next year, but boxing day ! wow, that is even earlier than I thought.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

The sun comes up in the east and sets in the west. A roasting porch is not a good idea, a sunny windowsill is better than somewhere that gets boiling hot. You need to avoid leggy seedlings, so not letting them get too hot is good.