More work ..

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

More work ..

The family is buying me a small greenhouse for the back garden for a combined birthday/Xmas present. It's arriving Monday in pieces and will be erected fairly soon I suspect. The local lot want home grown tomatoes.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: More work ..

Excellent. I'd love a greenhouse but I don't think they're high winds friendly.

I've just spent an hour sewing (yes, with a needle and thick garden twine) the windbreak back on which blew off last week in the not so high winds. I don't think you can sew glass.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

You might be interested, Maggie & Flo, that I was given a cheap 8' x 6' aluminium greenhouse several years ago. I laid a single course on 8" blocks for it to sit on and screwed the base down in several places.
It has endured several winter storms and the only casualty is a cracked sheet of glass where a wayward barrel was blown against it.
Being on blocks means that you step down into it, giving a bit more headroom inside as a bonus.

The storms of 2013 destroyed both my polytunnels but the little greenhouse was unscathed.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo

I have no idea exactly what has been ordered so will have to wait and see what comes. It's polycarb I do know and 6' by 4' so will see. Excitement? Well it may have difficulty arriving tomorrow as the roads here are dreadful - sudden snow and not a gritter in place.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

We bought my mother one of those years back, I think it might have been a little bigger. It did her very nicely. Just big enough for 4-5 tomatoes and a cucumber, with a bit of staging for peppers and seedlings.

It was very easy to put up and very low maintenance, if memory serves. But it does need a bit of shelter from the wind.
Maggie

Flo

Bit of a saga with the delivery - family forgot the number that I live at though they got the road right and the village right. Oh and the parcels (frame in one, base in another and poly-carbonate in the other) arrived this afternoon and not yesterday. Just have to find the time and weather to erect it now.

But at least the son-in-law who has been on fence erecting duty found time to come and do a small adjustment today so that next door can get his bins out for the rubbish collections. Still a bit more work to be done on the fence to completely secure it but there is only so much you can do in the dark and rain.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you starting to feel a bit more excited now? Well done to that delivery person.

Is the fence work repair after the floods or adjustment to fit your greenhouse?
Maggie

Flo

Nah the fence was rotten when I moved in and has been gradually falling down for the last 2.5 years. :mrgreen: These things take time you know especially when your fencing operative works 8 days a week.