Bamboo advice please!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Bamboo advice please!

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:16 am

I would like to buy some bamboo as a smallish feature in my garden.I know it can be invasive,so will buy a suitable container to grow it in.Would I need to keep potting it into different containers,so would it be happy just growing in the same one,for a few years?TIA
Last edited by happyhippy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Bamboo advice please!

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:20 am

It's a while since I had some, hh, but if memory serves we planted it up in an old galvanised dustbin. We filled the bottom with polystyrene packaging, broken up. The clump spread across to fill it over 2-3 years by which time we could harvest some of the taller stems from the middle to use as canes in the garden. It stayed in there for at least 6 years - when we moved up here we gave it to a friend who split it and potted it up in something more decorative and it was still thriving there a good few years later when I visited her.
The upshot of my ramble is that they're tough as old boots. I think it will probably survive whatever. Oh, I remember it's quite hungry and thirsty. We used to buy those long-acting fertiliser clumps (the ones that look like budgie feed) for it and chuck a good couple of handfuls in the bin in the spring.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 am

Thanks GA xox

Weedo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi folks

In Australia, particularly on the East Coast, invasive bamboos have created a lot of problems to the point where many species are banned from sale. In defense of bamboos, they are an attractive and very useful plant and can provide very useful building materials. We in the Weed World classify bamboos into two groups - rhizomatous or running (invasive) species and clumping (non-invasive) species. The former are mostly Phyllostachys species and have been common garden plants. There are many non-invasive species that can be used even in very cold climates, look for cold tolerant Bambusa species (eg B. multiplex or B. textilis) or most species in the Fargesia genus. There are many cultivars and varieties and choose carefully, some can grow very high.
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination they produce more hues than can ever be seen - (Sun Tzu 600BC)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 am

The problem over here, Weedo, is that there doesn't appear to be any onus on the seller to use the proper name. So they can just sell it as bamboo without any reference to its invasive properties. Unless that's altered in recent times - I'm fairly certain that when we bought ours it had no label at all, from the bargain corner!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Return to “Allotments, Veg Patches and Container Gardening”