Best floor for greenhouse?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Best floor for greenhouse?

Green Aura wrote:I reckon you'd have a fairly strong case for arguing a greenhouse is an agricultural structure.
You'd think so Maggie, but apparently it is horticultural and not agricultural, unless it is on a mahoosive scale, and in that case we would have to get planning permission for it as a structure :angryfire:

Don't get me started - there are all sorts of rules around what you can and can't do. Native hedge = fine. Beech hedge = planning breach. Lawn cut by a lawnmower and under two inches long = breach. Lawn grazed by cattle or cut with scythe/tractor to over 2 inches long = OK.

Fruit trees = OK. Ornamental trees = breach. Permenant paths are out, having livestock is in (provided the products of livestock are for sale). Horses can graze on the ground if it is to eat the grass, but they can't live there or just hang around for fun there, or that is equine use and is a breach.

Just really hoping the planning office don't pay us a visit! The situation arose in the first place because the houses on my row clubbed together to buy the land, but didn't get change of use. Now some of them are clearly using the land for domestic purposes (football goals, trampolines and a pizza oven in some) and others are just a sort of wasteland. But the planning office won't grant change of use unless everyone is up for it at the same time, so at the moment are just turning a blind eye.

Sorry to hijack the thread but that was very therapeutic!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Best floor for greenhouse?

I think I got you started. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin