Funny old weather

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Funny old weather

See photo - give lie to the old saw "red sky at night, shepherds delight". It started raining about 5.00am the next morning.

Sunset over Beavers
Sunset 1 beavers Small.jpg
Sunset 1 beavers Small.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 9736 times
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Flo

Same thing this side of the pond Weedo - mind having cleared a patch of peas yesterday it'll be good to have wet soil to plant up tomorrow.

ina

Raining all day. Typical - there's an aurora alert today. Been in Scotland for 20 years and never managed to see the aurora!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wish it would rain here, REAL rain that is. They keep forecasting rain but all we get is about ten minutes of light drizzle and that's it. Just enough to make all the weeds grow.
Our spring dried up about a month ago and both my rain water tanks are empty. Thank goodness for the deep borehole well or we would would really have a problem.
There's heavy rain forecast for all day tomorrow, but I'll bet they change their mind before then.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Weedo

Don't worry Odsox; Timmo will be visiting for a break soon so it is bound to pour down for the duration of his visit.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I suspected, no real rain just a drizzly day with probably less than 1/2 inch all told.
I look forward to Timmo's visit Weedo, as long as it's not during our winter (when it rains every day non-stop)
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I came across this news item yesterday about an early autumn, with the "experts" saying it's because of the dry soil. Well I think that it ain't necessarily so.
We have the same thing happening here and the soil is most certainly NOT dry here. We had a warmish, dryish spell back in the spring and since then just about everything has been about a month early, and the trees around here are looking distinctly autumnal.
Our potatoes didn't get blight as I feared (on the top post) but they are all up now with the maincrop maturing a lot earlier than normal, plus every thing else is pretty much the same. Our autumn raspberries (variety September) started fruiting in June and all the apples are ready at least a month early.
So this "non expert" thinks its nothing to do with dry soil here, but more to do with above average temperatures in April followed by cool wet weather since.
All those poor plants think we had summer in April and autumn started about July.
Tony

Flo

It hasn't rained in the north east whilst everyone else has floods, torrents, thunder ... I've been watering the parsnips which had flopped - for goodness sake!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well autumn here started on August 1st. We got up that morning and you could smell it. It was like someone had flipped a switch. We've had a few nice days since but more like what an old neighbour used to call "St Luke's little summer" (never did know why :scratch: ) but no long hot summer days.

Nobody told the midges though - they think we're still wandering around suitably unclad for summer - I've had my vest back on for a fortnight or more. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo

We are about to (officially) step into spring here and are also experiencing some wierd seasonal change. We did have a dryish winter but, while we had far more frosts than normal, the daytime temperature fluctuated wildly. Because of this our soil temps have not dropped to the normal 5 -8 degrees C but have stayed up around 10-12 degrees. We now have fruit trees in full flower while at the same time wildling cereals are coming to head! The sown cereals are slow to take off but , I fear, they will also bolt early, Broccoli is still happily forming secondary heads but the fisgs are not moving???