Second flowering of peppers.

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Second flowering of peppers.

This year pretty much every pepper seed I planted grew and I ended up with more plants than space in the greenhouse so put some on the window cills in the house. They've all done well although the plants in the greenhouse did seem to get an attack by some tiny white insects which resulted in me taking the peppers off and dumping the plants which had started to look a little sorry for themselves.
The plants in the house have stayed looking much healthier and produced peppers as well. After harvesting the peppers I didn't immediately chuck the plants out and shortly after new flowers have appeared.
I'll admit my knowledge is a tad limited with regards to peppers and I'm wondering if these second lot of flowers will actually come to anything?

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Second flowering of peppers.

Depends on the light, temperature and you keeping up the watering/feeding routine.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

East facing window on the stairs , comfortable enough temperature wise and watering and feeding is no problem so I guess we'll see.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I doubt they'll get enough light as the winter draws in. However if they're not taking up room you need for something else it might be worth a crack. Maybe a full-spectrum daylight bulb?

We've just chopped down our chillies and put some into winter storage because they had almost completely blocked the light in the spare bedroom and, despite rapidly diminishing light levels, still had tons of flowers and showed no signs of stopping.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes the loss of daylight hours was what has made me wonder if the flowers will amount to anything. I'm not going to provide artificial light other than what they might get from the landing light when that's on as I frankly don't think it's worth it but as they aren't in the way and the window only overlooks the garage I'll more than likely just leave them to do what they will.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if your east facing window gets a decent amount of light.
I purposely grew a small pepper plant for winter fruits, I think there is a photo somewhere on this forum, and it was a success. The only problem was the variety, which grew such small peppers that were really too fiddly to bother with.
Length of daylight isn't a problem, and even temperature isn't that important, the cooler it is the slower they grow.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Found the photo, page 2 half way down... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29496
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks odsox that looks promising. Still I suppose if I only get one the size of a cherry tomato I'll class it as a success considering it's already cropped and isn't going to cost anything other than the time to water it.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Final update before the plants head for the compost heap. It was an interesting exercise if nothing else. The one plant has managed to produce a single pepper around two inches long. It's currently a patchy red and green colour. The other plant flowered again over Christmas but nothing came of that at all and it's currently looking a little sad. That would have been the third set of flowers on that plant although only the first ever produced anything. I suppose it's not really been worth it but it has a least kept something green on the window over the rather than it just being bare but the exercise will end next week as the window is being replaced so the plants have to move anyway.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

One of the peppers we pruned immediately started growing again and produced one large chilli. The others are either dormant or dead - difficult to tell really. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

in a few days the window they are on will change from a single to a double glazed one so this time next year it should be warmer there . I may have to repeat this little experiment just to see if there's any change .

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

...and grow a pot or two of tomatoes, they're a doddle on a south(ish) facing windowsill.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.