I love my allotment

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Emma

I love my allotment

At work all the girls have started to call me Authur fowler. I don't mind and take it as a compliment as I love MY ALLOTMENT. I just think they are missing out. :flower:

LOVE your logo too, is it suposed to be a good life rip off? :occasion5:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love my allotment too.

would not use the words 'rip off' it is a homage to the good life, that people can eaisily identify with.

I get some stick for having an allotment too, but when it comes to harvest time and you have cupboards full of organic vegetables it makes it all worth while.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Emma

Allotments

I agree, I must have saved a fortune on organic veg over the five years that i have had mine. :D

Is it only here in England that there are allotments, I know the Americans don't have them??????

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

allotments

Certainly have never come across them here in Aus. There was a community garden in my area a few years back but it has since folded. I am not sure why, possibly lack of interest or perhaps the land was resumed for building. The cost of land anywhere in the Sydney basin is disgusting! :cry:

Emma

land

I live in South London, the cost of land is not cheap here either. :(

I like the idea of a community garden, it's a shame it lost interest. A bigger shame if it was due to housing.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Allotment

Yes, I used to know the woman who set it up, her kids went to ballet where my daughters were doing it at the time. She got really into growing things and went back to uni, I think she may have wound up going into the commercial side of growing. Maybe the problem was that she was the driving force and when she moved on it all folded. Anyway it was sad to see it go.
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Emma
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Plus

If she could inspire everyone that much then lets hope she is doing well in her new job.

I found out yesterday that I have convinced someone in our office to get an allotment. So it looks like I am doing some inspiring work too. :lol: They are keeping quiet about it though, not sure why. They are a funny lot where I work. :geek:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Allotment

Good work!

I don't say too much about what I do at home when I'm at work, most people consider me a bit strange already because of what I do (I'm the OHS&E Manager). :?

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

OHS&E

What does the ohs&e manager mean?

By the way Emma and Wombat, if you are wondering why there are pictures of the good life characters next to your posts it is because they relate to how many posts you make. They go in rank order of how many posts you make, the highest that you can be is Barbara Good.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good life

Thanks Andy,

I was kind of wondering! :lol:

Emma

How many times do I have to post to be Felicity Kendal :P

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

It stands for Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Manager. We are a strange breed and need more than your fair share of idealism and masochism (in equal parts). :lol:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

OH & E

Ah of course, wombat.

Emma - you have to make 50 posts to be felicity Kendall/Barbara Good. I am going to add to a bit more I think, so you can be other people the more you post. Any suggestions?
and...... Twitter

cyndeelouwho1972
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

allotments

I realise this post is old but I am new here. There is such a thing as buying shares from farmers here in the States. You purchase a share in the crop and you go to the farm to pick up what has been grown or pay extra to have it delivered. There are also co op farms. Their are many community gardens and everyone shares in the chores and harvest. Sometimes the community buys the plot of land or they lease from a farm. I found an elderly woman who owns an old six acre blueberry field. If I tend the blueberries my family and I are allowed to have whatever we like, if we decide to sell produce we can give her a portion of the money to help her with her taxes. I hope someday to buy the plot from her as I would hate to see the land developed.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

that sounds like sound of buying sharesm what a fantastic idea.
and...... Twitter