Whats the borax recipe for cockies?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Does anyone know the quantities for mixing borax with sugar to treat cockroaches? Does it matter?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

No idea - sorry :( but just had to say,
"Cockroaches! Uuuuuggggghhhhh."

On a tangent, I dropped a pen down the side of the sofa yesterday and put my hand down to rescue it. When I pulled out a very realistic looking rubber cockroach I screeched and threw it across the room. Boys, who'd have 'em? :roll:

Anna x
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Boots

:shock: oookay.... :mrgreen:

Wish these were rubber ones!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I used to use about 50:50 Botts, but I don't think it is critical.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yeah, rubber has it's advantages!
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Boots

Hey Nev, good to see you back!

Can you tell me if the little blighters are supposed to RUN TOTALLY AMUCK after you disperse this stuff???? Like for 4 days????

Far out.

Is there some sort of digestion delay or something? Or did your just cark it straight away? I have cocky chaos going on here at the moment... :shock:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No they do not snuff it straight away, they usually consume then wander off somewhere. If you have cockie chaos I must admit to using cokie bombs under the house, but only the ones using synthetic pyrethroids like permethrin. If they are Cabramatta racehorse size and are massing for an attack, a cockie bomb or two may be your only chance :shock: . (Run! Save yourself! I'll cover your back!)

Nev

PS glad to be back! no more travelling for 3 months!

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

:pale: :pale: :pale: This is why I just could not live in Australia. Bad enough those ones always in the sink but the Sydney pavements were crawling with the things at night time. Euuuuccchhhh. :pale: I don't mind spiders or most bugs but roaches are just, indescribably awful!

I'm glad you are back too Nev, I miss you when you are away!

Boots

These are those German Cockies...apparently.
Am not sure if that is a nickname which may be a bit of a slur, due to the tenacity of these little blighters, but they are tiny only about 1cm long and brown... and just sooooo difficult to budge!

I have to admit to already bombing :oops: on 2 seperate occaisions... and was even more annoyed that i had relented to using chems only to find they had no effect on the buggers. :?

An old guy has told me the only thing that still does them in, is the borax and icing sugar deal, but I forgot to ask how to mix it. I did about 50/50 I think, and the next night came in to a nightmare sight :shock: . They were mobile and there to greet us at the door! I was bouncing around in my boots, squishing and splatting!

They seemed to be looking for water and congregating around any condensation or the dogs dishes, sink etc., so I guessed/hoped that something must have been working. Just would have preferred if they had rolled over and surrendered, so I knew for sure. We all let loose with fly swatters and continued to do this each night for the next 3. Things seem to have settled down again now, but I think I will do it again next week, just to be sure.

We have just had a heap of rain, so not sure if water may have been a solution for them...

nick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Boots,
some tips in a green living book are:
leave cucumber ends in the cupboard until they shrivel
rub tea tree oil over shelves
use a bait of 5% borax in sugar (the 50:50 may not be to their liking :))
use 2tbsp boax, 1tbsp flour, 1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder mixed together
grease the neck of a bottle with oil and leave stale beer in the bottom
hope this helps

Boots

Thanks Nick,
I think the original mix is working. Definately not many around now, and those that are, look like dehydrated mutants with shrivelled up wings and bodies. Spotted a very slow albino one today wandering around slowly bumping into things... :shock:

Will try the borax and cocoa and flour one as a follow up this weekend. That mix is about 50:50 too, so I'm thinking it must be ok to go with that.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I lived at home (with my father) we used to have kamikazi cockies, they would climb up onto the top of the batchroom door and the jump down the back of your neck as you walked into the bathroom. Very entertaining in the middle of the night!

Nev

Karen_Grace
Tom Good
Tom Good

Collect em and eat em.
Fried in a nice drop of olive oil, garlic and ginger!!

Sorry, :drunken:

(Dont take me seriously)
Karen

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny you should mention that...........

I used to do some work in Thailand and I was walking along the street in Bankok when I saw a bloke coming towards me with one of those plates you take to a party, you know the type with the divisions in them, one for crackers, one for cheese, one for cabanossi etc.

Well one of the divisions of this guys plate had something that looked for all the world like deep fried cockies. I was somewhat glad that I wasn't going to the same part he was........ :pale:

Nev

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

In china, along Wong Fu Jin Street (its like oxford street, but chinese), there are these stand that sell everything on sticks.
Everything. If they can stick a stick up its arse, they do - we could get locust, cockroach, silk worm beetle, snake, starfish, everything.

So, boots - kebab stick up the arse, cook it over a BBQ, scrummy cockroach!! ...or maybe not...