Straw

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Moonbutton

Straw

I have heard that at this time of year it is a good idea to put straw around some of your plants. What plants and what type of straw???

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Straw

You can use almost anything to cover plants, it does not have to be straw use newspapers, plastic tarps or hay. If there is definetly going to be a frost then cover the whole plant before sunset to trap any remaining heat.

You could also try using a clotche, I cut the bottom off a pop bottle and put it over my parsley and it is saying alive all ready (hopefully) to florish next year.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can use straw to keep the weeds down, I've just put some around my blackcurrents.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

straw

I use straw for this as well but find that some persistant weeds (eg Oxalis) get through, so I put down a layer of 3-4 sheets of newspaper first.

If you use lucerne hay (more expensive) it does provide nitrogen for the plants when it breaks down. :lol: