books on food storage of crops any books ideas etc

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

books on food storage of crops any books ideas etc

:cheers: ok i want a book reccomendation and advice on storing potatoes apples carrots onions etc you get the picture i have looked in book shops and on nett but there is hardly any thing on this subject anyother helpful books would be appreciated

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The best book for this is 'The Vegetable and Herb Expert' by Dr. D.G. Hessayon - Transworld publishers - always in print and usually available from good bookshops and garden centres. It takes you through the whole veg growing season including harvesting and storage. Its my first port of call for any veg query. In fact, the publishers owe me a cut of the profit as I always recommend it. :mrgreen:

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

My favourite one is "Stocking up" edited by Carol Stoner, published by Rodale Press. It has everything about growing , storing, preserving food, and is a jolly good read, too. It is American, but we won't hold that against it...

gunners71uk

well i managed to find one i have ordered it its called the allotment handbook by c foley let me know if you have read this one its the 04 version. :king:

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

hi,I've got the allotment handbook by caroline foley..got it from amazon...it's good t oget you started which is what I use it for . There is also practical allotment gardening which is much the same. The best one I've got is an old reader's digest my mother in law bought for my daughter 3o years ago it's called "food from your garden " and includes storage cooking as well as ground preparation and growing....also the john seymour book called *self sufficiency" is very good on storage

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lyds wrote:The best book for this is 'The Vegetable and Herb Expert' by Dr. D.G. Hessayon - Transworld publishers - always in print and usually available from good bookshops and garden centres. It takes you through the whole veg growing season including harvesting and storage. Its my first port of call for any veg query. In fact, the publishers owe me a cut of the profit as I always recommend it. :mrgreen:
Hi Lyds, I use this book all the time and like you it's my first port of call. Do you know who Dr DG Hessayon is? There are a lot of books in the series, all to do with gardening. He should be more famous than Titchmarsh, Monty and old (if not dead?....) Percy Thrower. There is no mention of the chap/chapess in the book. I have just made a cute wee onion plait, I am now a tad worried that it will rot. but it does look so nice. :flower:

Mrs. Tweedie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Books on Food storage

Two books that I really like are:
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery
The Craft of the Country Cook by Pat Kratz
Both books are from the U.S. of A
Carla Emery is practically a folk hero to homesteaders (smallholders) in the U.S.
Both should be available through Amazon.
We store our root vegetables in a cold storage room. This is a room that is kept very cold but above freezing. We store our potatoes & onions in large plastic square buckets that have lots of holes in them for ventilation & are covered with an old blanket or whatever in order to keep the light off of them.
Our carrots etc. are layered in sand in plastic tubs. They keep this way from Sept thru April. We found that Apples don't keep when stored in with potatoes, so they must be stored in a separate room. Winter squashes don't like cold, they keep better in a cool - warm room.
Hope this helps.
LIVE SIMPLY, THAT OTHERS MAY SIMPLY LIVE

gunners71uk

:lol: thanks mrs t for the info.