Pasta

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pasta

despite the fact that I do write some of the recipes for self sufficientish, there is one thing that is still eluding me. How to make decent pasta, every time I make it, it always taste a bit rubbery. If anyone has makes pasta and has a good recipe or any ideas on how to make good pasta from scratch then let me know.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Andy,

Do you make it fully by hand or use one of the Italian hand operated pasta machines? Do you use egg or just flour and water?
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pasta

alright nev

I have a cheapo plastic pasta maker, I have also tried making it by hand. My pasta maker is not up to much, when the pasta mixture goes through the maker it just expands again the other side.

I use flour and water mixed, I have tried with egg aswell, still don't get brilliant results.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Andy,

I have an Italian stainless steel pasta maker, there are some newer brands appearing over here that are comparatively cheap and $30-$40. I have used the recipe that came with the pasta maker, which I will check but I am sure was basically 1 cup of flour + 1 egg, mix it up & knead it, then roll it flat (I use the pasta maker) and then cut it up to the desired shape. :lol:

I once got lazy and tried to use my breadmaker to knead it (it was designed to do it) but it turned out pretty crappy :oops:

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

pasta

alright mate,

How long do you have to knead it for nev? Might give it a go for my dinner tonight.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Andy,

not long really, only just long enough to incorporate the egg into the flour, 5 to 10 minutes, and probably closer to 5 than 10. I must admit to not having timed it. I just keep going until it looks right.

Nev