Raised beds and problem people

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
scragster
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

haha i like that!! yeah why not :lol:
went down this morning for a couple of hours and dug the green manure in one of the beds....ready for when it warms alittle and can plant seedling out...love going down there when i can (have 2 nippers under 18mths so cant get down everyday!) bring on the lighter evenings...makes me feel satisfied when ive done a couple of hours work...then i come home to a dusty house!! oops ah well swings and roundabouts hehe
:wink:

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Hi Scragster, What part of Dorset are you? I lived in a little village called Pamphill just outside of Wimborne
(would'nt let us live inside,we wer'nt posh enough) mind you that was waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the distant past, so its either fallen down or is a big housing estate for posh nobs.

Oops just read your previous posts, OOh do feel a fool.( Par for the course)
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

scragster
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

am in poole
i like pamphill :o)

magenta flame
Tom Good
Tom Good

All I can think of is your raised beds are only redirecting water, not causing the flooding. Maybe your raised beds are restricting the natural flow?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

If raised beds are restricting flow, it can only mean that the flow, and therefore the flooding, was there in the first place. Unless you have a continuous raised bed of, say, a half mile or so in length, running transversely across the natural drainage pattern, then you ain't going to make an iota of difference. There's no two ways about it - the people (peson?) who think you caused the floods have a big problem. Another brain cell would sort half of the problem out.

Big Al

scragster wrote:am in poole
i like pamphill :o)
Play the worried female card by going to the allotment committee with a written complaint. If that fails, go to the council and ask if there are any other vacent plots in your area. Say that you love it at XXX allotments and don't want to leave but joe bloggs is making you feel threatened etc and then with a tear in the eye say why.

If that fails find out who dislikes this joe bloggs gadgy and ask them to "have a word" I'm only sorry I live 100's of miles away from you or i'd go to point 3 straight away for you.

Some old farts told me that these fandangled new things ( raised beds) from the TV ( joe swift on gardeners world) will never catch on. When he saw my crops come up at least 2 weeks before his he complained that the weather was playing havoc with his crops ( despite us being side by side).

Some old farts are just that...... old farts.... and you don't bother with them do you?