Moths in the cupboards

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moths in the cupboards

Seems that we can't keep on top of the moth problem in our kitchen cupboards. I have had to throw away quite an amount of flour, rice and dry goods. The little b@##rds have cost me a fair few quid.

I've cleaned up the cupboards put newspaper down and have killed a load of the adults. They keep coming back and I am not sure why, is there any way of repelling them? Or killing them off once and for all. I am guessing a really big clean will sort it out once and for, perhaps I have missed bits when I have tried to sort this out before.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Firstly, keep all your kitchen cupboard contents in glass or plastic tubs... ask on freecycle for some coffee jars, and you'll be sorted.

I would clean out the cupboard and then wipe it, all round with Lavender or lemon EO, but I have just done a search and found that moths are repelled by BASIL, BAY LEAF, CEDAR, CLOVES, EUCALYPTUS, LAVENDER, MINTS, EXCEPT PEPPERMINT, PATCHOULI, PENNYROYAL, BLACKPEPPER, PYRETHRUM DAISY, ROSEMARY, RUE, SOUTHERNWOOD, SANTOLINA, TANSY, THYME, WORMWOOD - I am not shouting, its a cut and paste job :mrgreen:

I have recently thrown out a few bags of flour that had maggoty thing in them... yuk... and I have yet to follow any of the above advice :oops:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Hawthorn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Stick a couple of bay leaves in the cupboards. Worked for us. Plus, added bonus, it repels flour weevils too :)

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

when you're next out in the country, keep your eyes open, there's lots of "stable manure" available - what you need is the rarer "UNstable manure" - saucer of that in the cupboard - next moth that lands on it - Kaboom! - problem solved! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mothballs - put a couple in your hand and squeeze. That particular moth will avoid your kitchen like the plague in future.

Shirley

MKG wrote:Mothballs - put a couple in your hand and squeeze. That particular moth will avoid your kitchen like the plague in future.
ROFLMAO! :cheers: :mrgreen: :lol:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

baldowrie

Annpan

I have recently thrown out a few bags of flour that had maggoty thing in them
They were probably weevils and they would have already been in the flour. They are, I was told, harmless but still I wouldn't like to eat them!

I haven't seen them in flour for years, but then my flour doesn't hang around very long these days either.

Andy it appears you have a bit of pest problem :wink: First slugs and now moths

Hawthorn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Baldowrie, I've had problems with this......mainly from the Tescos smart price stuff.

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Flour weevils often arrive in the flour. One method is to wrap the flour and stick it in the freezer for 24 hours to kill off any eggs.

Thurston Garden

Andy just keep you wallet shut when in the kitchen :wink:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

baldowrie wrote:
Annpan

I have recently thrown out a few bags of flour that had maggoty thing in them
They were probably weevils and they would have already been in the flour. They are, I was told, harmless but still I wouldn't like to eat them!

eeuugh! :pale:

I'd never come across anything like it before and it ruined my muffin baking plans for the day... extra disturbing that they come in the flour already :pale:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Couldn't resist ... Just cook the smaller ones ... the lesser of two weevils

Hawthorn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

*groans* :lol:

smwon
Tom Good
Tom Good

:lol: OMGosh! I had a problem with grain moths for a while as well. I threw everything out and then, when I brought grains and flour home, I stuck it in the freezer overnight. I still had the moths flying around so I made sure I didn't leave any grain or flour opened for any length of time. Shut it up as quickly as possible and soon I didn't have them any more... whew... nothing like having webs and larva in my food supply... totally ick! I also stored them in either hard plastic containers or glass ones.

baldowrie

annpan

I'd never come across anything like it before and it ruined my muffin baking plans for the day
Used to be common when I was a girl :wink: