Got an allotment!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
thecornflake
Tom Good
Tom Good

Got an allotment!

Fri May 16, 2008 10:41 am

After putting my name down a couple of weeks ago and assuming a long wait I got a call yesterday to say two were available, so just waiting for them to post the plans to me so I can go and see them!

I think one is 7 and the other 10 rods. I'll probably take the smaller one for now, unless the bigger one is in much better condition.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 am

Congratulations!!! Look forward to reading about the transformation to a productive plot. :cheers:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 am

Yayyyyy :cheers: :cheers: (I'd take the bigger one, though)

thecornflake
Tom Good
Tom Good

Fri May 16, 2008 11:05 am

I'm in two minds about it. I'm expecting both to be overgrown, and I'm only going to have weekends and the odd evening possibly to get there so I don't want to take on something too big. But then I know if I take the smaller one a year down the line I'll wish I had a bigger plot.

I'll see what state they're both in first and then decide.

Cheezy

Fri May 16, 2008 11:18 am

Well done, our allotments have a 40 people waiting list!, I recon on around 2 to 3 years to get one
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

ina

Fri May 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Great news!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

tim&fatima

Fri May 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Congratulations, :cheers:
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.

Bluemoon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sat May 17, 2008 10:42 am

Congratulations. Don't be put off by the size/weeds, a new plot can be intimidating, but you don't have to do it all at once, just cover part of it to suppress the weeds and work small areas at a time. Our first ever plot had been owned by an obsessive allotmenteer who, being retired, spent all day every day on it. It was weed free, planted-up and had an immaculate shed and a greenhouse, complete with tools. Sadly we had to give it up due to work commitments, but a few years later took on another one which was a jungle. The thing is, with the first one I always felt that it wasn't mine, I was just struggling along trying to follow in the footsteps of the previous chap. (Not completely though as he'd died by the onions :shock: ) With the second one, although it needed a lot of work, I was able to plan it how I wanted it, and I'm much happier with it.

Beek
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sat May 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Congratulations

Go for the bigger one and take it over in bits. You can use old carpet to smother weeds on what you don't use straight away, but plastic DPC weighted down with water-filled milk containers is better. The carpet option is cheaper if you can get it from skips or by lurking at your local council tip and intercepting anyone dumping carpet, but if you leave it down for more than a year it begins to merge with the soil and is a bugger to lift. The best building sites to scrounge DPC are conversions/extensions because builders use it to stop dust/the elements getting into inhabited areas and then skip it when the job's done.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Flo

Sun May 18, 2008 8:45 am

Well done that man - take the bigger one - you'll have plenty of space for composting all the weeds and stuff for future use on the bigger one. The compost heap is a money saving device.

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 am

Where abouts in Kent are you? We are allotment newbies in Kent to, we got ours in October after a short wait as well. I have been informed that there were vacant plots on our allotment. It seems the people of Kent dont want plots! I cant beleive that.

thomasgreen
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thu May 22, 2008 6:33 am

that suits me fine! i'm in Kent!my fiance and i are buying our first house and i can't wait to get an allotment! they are only2 mins round the corner which is super!!

get the bigger plot i'd say!!