plastic bags

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
trisha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

plastic bags

I think you will be pleased to know that give away plastic bags have been banned in France since 1st November. If you intend holidaying here don't forget to take a bag to the supermarket or be prepared to buy them.
at the chemists today I was given a plastc bag which has been made with, it says, 90% corn starch and will degrade very quickly in sunlight. We'll see. We can still use plastic bags in our rubbish bins. I buy black ones that are supposed to rot away very quickly and are supposed to be non polluting when they are made. As we have to take all our rubbish to the bins I have to use plastic bags to carry it in. You are not allowed to put unwrapped rubbish in the bins. Quite a lot of stuff is re-cycled and all our kitchen waste is re-cycled either thru the chickens or into the compost bin.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

That is good news :cheers:

We also keep chickens... they relish a lot of things that we would ordinarily throw away... like veggie peelings... (a bit rare these days but we do sometimes do mashed potato which doesn't use the skin)

Oh... and as we are in scotland... left over porridge is a particular favourite of the chooks :mrgreen:

Shirlz xx
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewitch

This is something that needs to go global.
YAY! for France for doing this and lets hope the rest of the world aren't too far behind.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Millymollymandy

I wonder if it applies to clothes shops too - I wouldn't know as I haven't bought any new clothes for years, only me M&S knickers when I was in England!

trisha
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

That's a thought. I haven't bought new clothes for ages either and when I buy stuff from the 2nd. hand market they are stuffed into plastic bags. From Secours Caotholique they are put into re cycled bags from other shops. I always take a bag with me anyway. By the way did you read Millymolly mandy as a child? I remember how much i loathed those stories and way back then everyone thought what suitable books they were for a girl child, at least one would turn up for Christmas or birthdays.

Millymollymandy

Yes I read the MMM books, hence the name! I enjoyed them though I can't remember much what they were about - it was rather a long time ago!

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

It seems that France are following Ireland with the plastic bag ban...perhaps it will become EU wide...the shops here in the north west still pile them on you when you shop