I fancy going on a rubbish reduction year

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

I fancy going on a rubbish reduction year

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 am

I don't think I have a hope in hell or anywhere else of managing a rubbish free for a year but I really don't fancy putting out my bin for another six months or so. I think I shall have to include the recycling bin in my efforts too.

It's going to be a major rethink on the shopping front and a lot more grown through the winter on the allotment (first winter on and still picking some but not enough). Trouble is that we have no shops where you can go fill a container with lentils, pearl barley, washing powder locally.

Anyone else game for a major rubbish reduction campaign in 2009 amongst their new year resolutions?

Clara

Re: I fancy going on a rubbish reduction year

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:58 am

I'm game.

We're pretty good but it's the dreaded plastic packaging that everything seems to come in that gets us :( . I am making more of an effort with looking for paper packed alternatives though there's not much choice here. We buy a lot of stuff in 5kg or 25kg bags which tend to be paper - have you thought of that Flo? Perhaps you could go in with friends if cost or usage is an issue. Most independent healthfood stores could order stuff like this for you (usually works out a LOAD cheaper too), and if you can get around £200 of orders to together you could cut out the middle man and order direct from someone like Infinity Foods (cheaper still!).

Other than that the new babe will be back in washable nappies and I'll try part time EC to hopefully avoid the need to use sposies at all. And I must make some more cloth wipes/family cloth to cut out baby wipe and loo roll usage altogether.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Flo

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 am

You know Clara you have hit the nail on the head with my rubbish. Stuff in packaging that you can't reuse or recycle.

Part of local family is in a health food co-operative and I placed an order last time around for cleaning items which was good for the budget as well as good for the lack of waste and the green issue. Not sure how things like pasta and pulses come packaged - rather the same as the supermarket I think but am not sure. But something to explore when the next ordering session in March happens.

With the downturn in trade, there is less call for recycled items made from paper and cardboard, councils are not taking so many sorts of rubbish and the trade is not there for the end product. Hmmm.

Big Al

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm up for it this year also. I made a remark on my blog about the waste plastic packaging I was throwing away. I thought I was quite savvy to this issue but when I lost my car keys I had to turn the bin out and there was a massive heap of plastic. I have a lot of paper bags from my ex busisinerss so I'll b e using them if need be this year also in the past I've been thrown out of T&***o's for stuffing plastic wrapping in the pockets of the shop manager after arguing about cucumbers wrapped in plastic.

I'll start from wednesday the 7th of Jan as that's the next collection of the green bin for general rubbish.
[size=150]Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Flo

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Well the general rubbish bin was emptied this morning. It's now returned to the yard free of rubbish. I've been out taking items to a charity shop and came back to find that the postman had left me a gardening catalogue wrapped in cellophane that won't recycle. :roll: I've also managed one minute plastic hanger that was on the end of a new product - thick winter woolly hat - in the charity shop. It's definitely an item for the rubbish bin.

It just shows how easy it is to gather rubbish. Must visit the website of the company that sent the catalogue to get taken off the mailing list. Which reminds me - there is another site where I need to go to ask to be taken off the mailing list.

Smaller plastic carrier bags are handy for bringing stuff back off the allotment - I had to go to freecycle to get some last year. Also there is a householder along the road that sells produce off their plot and who takes smaller carrier bags for selling produce in. They also get washed out and used in the kitchen recycling bin that gathers stuff for the allotment compost heap. They have to be pretty dead before they get thrown out here. they come under the heading of reuse. Everything wears out in the end unfortunately.

Big Al

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:10 pm

I don't use the plastic carriers now having made a few of the morse type bags. However I do use bio degradable doggie bags for picking up his excrement but these go in the dog waste bins.

I'm really going to have to think and remember to take the bags with me when shopping and as for the compost stuff i have one of those plastic buckets with a charcoal filter on it that collects kitchen waste etc.

Right off to the shops.... oops forgot the bags already.lol.
[size=150]Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Flo

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 am

Well I've done a house audit to see where the rubbish comes from just to see if there are quick fixes to start the ball rolling (well it's cold out there).

I run a compost heap on the allotment (large one - double the normal size) so that takes care of vegetable peelings, tea bags, shredded receipts. It can also take pure cotton and pure wool materials as well as ripped up plain cardboard packaging and some newspaper.

Now that raises one question for the future. Most of my clothes are polyester or acrylic or a mixture of fibres. As I'm given to wearing them till they are rags, disposal to the charity shop (or through eBay or car boot or freecycle) are not options. There is only so much demand for cleaning rags in a one person, one bedroom flat where there is no car. One to ponder.

Some of my favourite flavour herbal infusions (not a drinker of normal tea or coffee) come in waxed individual packets and other boxes have cellophane wrappers which are neither recyclable or compostable. Hmm. The other area that hits me are biscuit wrappers and yogurt pots. I suppose that I can cut out biscuits for the good of my figure (think traffic island shape) so that is not a problem once the present stash is cleared. Yogurt pots - reusable if you know anyone who wants them in quantity. Not cracked that one yet as the local scrap store has long since gone.

I can also thin out the recycling bin now that Christmas is over and there is no need for cans of fizzy pop against visitors. Also there will be less newspaper in the coming year as the budget has become tight.

The allotment will have to produce a bit more over the coming season to save on vegetable buying and what I do buy to cover the coming two or three months is going to have to come with minimum packaging. That should be fun.

Big Al

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:50 am

Flo wrote:Well I've done a house audit to see where the rubbish comes from just to see if there are quick fixes to start the ball rolling (well it's cold out there).

I run a compost heap on the allotment (large one - double the normal size) so that takes care of vegetable peelings, tea bags, shredded receipts. It can also take pure cotton and pure wool materials as well as ripped up plain cardboard packaging and some newspaper.

Now that raises one question for the future. Most of my clothes are polyester or acrylic or a mixture of fibres. As I'm given to wearing them till they are rags, disposal to the charity shop (or through eBay or car boot or freecycle) are not options. There is only so much demand for cleaning rags in a one person, one bedroom flat where there is no car. One to ponder.

Some of my favourite flavour herbal infusions (not a drinker of normal tea or coffee) come in waxed individual packets and other boxes have cellophane wrappers which are neither recyclable or compostable. Hmm. The other area that hits me are biscuit wrappers and yogurt pots. I suppose that I can cut out biscuits for the good of my figure (think traffic island shape) so that is not a problem once the present stash is cleared. Yogurt pots - reusable if you know anyone who wants them in quantity. Not cracked that one yet as the local scrap store has long since gone.

I can also thin out the recycling bin now that Christmas is over and there is no need for cans of fizzy pop against visitors. Also there will be less newspaper in the coming year as the budget has become tight.

The allotment will have to produce a bit more over the coming season to save on vegetable buying and what I do buy to cover the coming two or three months is going to have to come with minimum packaging. That should be fun.

yogurt pots can be reused for planting starter seeds off for the allotment. if you have too many give them to your fellow plot holders. On the other hand why not buy a yoghurt maker.? or use an old flask etc to make your own yoghurt and it can be taylored to your own taste then. I'm thinking of low suger etc, just look at the sugar content in "LOW FAT YOGHURTS"

Cloth samples, make a clippy mat or rug, make a draught excluder and stuff it with the rags etc.

Herbal teas, make your own, initially from bought herbs then as the saeson gets gowing grow and cut your own, again making to your liking. I know i have more time as a househusband but I do move slow but it's doable.

HTH

Alan
Secret Asparagus binger

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:21 pm

i was only commenting today to my mother that it's shocking how much plastic we use.
over the last year we have gotten more into recycling and it's when i put the bins out i realise just how much is used.
definately want to cut back.
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:30 pm

Would be good to formulate some kind of action to reduce packaging. Not sure what it would entail, lobbying govenmental bodies - yes of course. Lobbying individual companies, well we can at least ask them why they use so much - perhaps we could have a name and shame system somewhere on the site.

Anyway, yes happy to try and reduce (don't have much anyway), I think we should also try for a policy change from the supermarkets, politicians and local councils.

I think although we as consumers do take some of the blame we should not take all of it.

As a little tip to get anyone who needs it going, go to findmeamilkman.net to reduce the amount of plastic milk bottles used.

Also instead of buying salad bags buy a load of salad seed packets and grow in a window box.

Also instead of buying salad bags buy a load of salad seed packets and grow in a window box. Perhaps we should carry on giving tips here for reducing??
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:21 pm

Flo,

Some charity shops do take really worn out stuff, as they often have a deal with the local rasg merchant, so its still worth asking. (Having worked in our local charity shop you'd be amazed at the cr4p some people donate, expecting it to be sold!)

If the stuff is poly/cotton, like shirts etc, why not make a patchwork table cloth with the good bits? Or cut the big bits out of a shirt back & sleeves, hem it & you have a hanky. Simple shopping bags are an other possibility, or next year's xmas wrapping?

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Flo

Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:18 am

MuddyWitch wrote:(Having worked in our local charity shop you'd be amazed at the cr4p some people donate, expecting it to be sold!)
MW

Oh no I wouldn't from the same experience. However, all the suggestions made so far for the reuse of clothes when necessary at some distant point in the future are filed.

Where I think I shall start in the reduce, reuse, recycle situation is reduce. I had a good 6 months from Christmas to summer last year where I did very little shopping and filled about 4 small carrier bags with rubbish. Then I went shopping for a couple of months and the rubbish went up, then I went back to very little shopping and the rubbish reduced again. But in November and December I refilled the clothes cupboard on the grounds of not wearing rags and the prices were good so it was worth stocking up with good standard items before the only shop in town for clothes is Primark, stacked up the cleaning materials by bulk buying and filled up the dry stores cupboard.

I notice that there is actually far less packaging on new clothes now than there used to be. Must be a cost cutting thing.

I haven't gone as far as these nice people who decided to do a complete rubbish free year. If I remember rightly, they spent a good two months clearing the house of rubbish and planning their shopping habits prior to going down the road of no landfill for a year. They have logged one or two mistakes and have put these to one side. It should be interesting to see what they have for landfill at the end of the year. And whether they continue to follow a course of minimal landfill at the end. I feel that I am going to be logging how I manage to cut down the waste over the year - who knows by the end of 2009 it might be almost no landfill if you all keep making good suggestions.

Flo

Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:20 am

Andy Hamilton wrote:Also instead of buying salad bags buy a load of salad seed packets and grow in a window box.

That doesn't work very well in winter in a foot of frost as salad type plants are not frost resistant. But it's certainly a good one for the growing months. Trouble is that people buy the bags of salad in the winter for all the parties and things. :mrgreen:

Big Al

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Andy Hamilton wrote:Would be good to formulate some kind of action to reduce packaging. Not sure what it would entail, lobbying govenmental bodies - yes of course. Lobbying individual companies, well we can at least ask them why they use so much - perhaps we could have a name and shame system somewhere on the site.

Anyway, yes happy to try and reduce (don't have much anyway), I think we should also try for a policy change from the supermarkets, politicians and local councils.

I think although we as consumers do take some of the blame we should not take all of it.

As a little tip to get anyone who needs it going, go to findmeamilkman.net to reduce the amount of plastic milk bottles used.

Also instead of buying salad bags buy a load of salad seed packets and grow in a window box.

Also instead of buying salad bags buy a load of salad seed packets and grow in a window box. Perhaps we should carry on giving tips here for reducing??

Thanks for the milkman link Andy, we are covered... apparently. i'll be ringing them tomorrow to find out the price of the skimmed milk as supermarkets are now £1.53 for 4 pints or just over 38p per pint and plastic bottles too... mind you having castigated plastic milk will freeze in plastic bottles but not in glass... I doubt that the cost will compare but if it's not that much difference I'll be going over to deliveries...
Secret Asparagus binger

Clara

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Thought I'd have a look this morning at what is the kitchen bin, I reckon we last emptied it on boxing day (so at the risk of sounding like that bloke who used to come on here everyday and tell us what he had in his bin):

Two carrier bags - that we had stored bits of the lamb in, so not keen on recycling.

plastic peanut packet - OH's munchies

a bag for peas and one for squid rings - we normally don't eat processed food, but in the run up to xmas I'd planned and shopped for all our meals as usual, but forgot to do it for the days after xmas and before the next market, so this was OH's solution.

oats packet - haven't yet had a reason to go to the nearest town where I can buy in bulk.

The recycling consists of several glass beer and wine bottles, nothing to do with me!

So I reached the rather awful conclusion that I'd be virtually waste-free if I got rid of OH, though I'd also be loveless, laughterless and lonely :pale:

On a positive note, I go round to making more cloth wipes so now toilet paper will only be used by our less adventurous guests.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Return to “But what can I do?”