Jump off the consumer bandwagon totally in 2009

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Jump off the consumer bandwagon totally in 2009

OK so some of us are having problems with buy nothing new in 2009 because the goods that we need at the moment aren't there (lack of stock in charity shops) or because it's cheaper to buy new if we HAVE to buy (cost of goods in charity shops).

So let us look at getting off the consumer bandwagon in another way and still be environmentally friendly.

1. Repair. Do we need to get a new one at all because we can repair it? Like turning sheets ends to middle as granny used to do.
2. Replace only. If we have something which wears out we can replace it if necessary. We look first in the charity shop or other second hand source.
3. We only buy new if we can't repair and/or we have to replace something which can't be acquired second hand/used and we need the item.
4. We reduce the list of things that we need around the home to basics - don't replace if we don't need to when something wears out.
5. Don't put things aside for projects that we are not going to start or complete - use it or don't buy/gain/receive it - recycle it
6. Don't buy things second hand that we don't need just because it's not buying new.
7. Recycle things that we don't use or need. Take it to the charity shop, eBay it, freecycle it, car boot it, yard sale it. Someone else may well need it.
8. Don't worry if you buy something new that you must have - worry if you buy it new and don't need it.
9. Stay away from shops unless you intend to buy something you need.
10. Distinguish between need and want.

What is need? Food, clothes, bedding, minimal furniture, shelter, heating. You can only sleep in one bed, cook in one cooker, sit in one chair, wear one set of clothes at a time (so one in the wash, one in the cupboard and one on?). One radio, one computer, one telly - luxuries.

Really the don't buy anything new this year is only an offshoot of the need to cut down on our consumer habits and to buy environmentally. I think that we could well be missing the whole point of the idea of consuming less whilst worrying about what we buy and where we buy it.

The Riff-Raff Element

Re: Jump off the consumer bandwagon totally in 2009

Flo wrote: 10. Distinguish between need and want.
Brilliant list Flo, but this is the best bit!

applegirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for these inspiring thoughts!

Clara

I agree that this is a better summing up of the intention.

No.9 could also be stated "don't go shopping as a pastime",which is I think where a lot of unnecessary purchases arise. As Douglas Copeland said "shopping is not creating".
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

invisiblepiper

Excellent list! :flower:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Big Al

invisiblepiper wrote:Excellent list! :flower:
My son is a student and considers his overdraft "not his money" so he rarely goes into it from term to term and I first heard the term need it / want it from him.

He's a book worm also and gravitates to the £1 stalls in the shops and I've even turned this on him.
He slagged me off when I said " Son, do you really NEED that book or only WANT it?"

His reply was good god dad you are turning into me!!! which I took as a compliament.
The "need it / want it " mantra has saved me over £100 since Christmas because I recite it on everything I pick up now..... SOBIK !
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

invisiblepiper

That is such a great compliment - and what a cool son you have.
I have one very spendthrift daughter, one careful daughter - and a son who is now care ful through making ghastly mistakes!
You have done well. :cheers:
(Robert Frost)

Big Al

invisiblepiper wrote:That is such a great compliment - and what a cool son you have.
I have one very spendthrift daughter, one careful daughter - and a son who is now care ful through making ghastly mistakes!
You have done well. :cheers:
Thank you but he saw the suffering, angst, depression and near suicidal tendancies when our financial world fell apart during 2005 - 2008. We made the ghastly mistakes and they came back to bite us but you are right....

He is cool.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Flo

Experience is a wonderful teacher. It's far more effective than many good words.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Life becomes a whole lot easier when you realise that the things that you need are the things you want.

A life free of "stuff" where you can breathe easy without major debts - incurred just to keep you up with the Jones. Close family and friends, fresh air, good food lovingly prepared, growing veg (and livestock).

In Manchester we had lots of the aforementioned "stuff", but I wouldn't swap what we've got now for all that and more.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Big Al

Green Aura wrote:Life becomes a whole lot easier when you realise that the things that you need are the things you want.

A life free of "stuff" where you can breathe easy without major debts - incurred just to keep you up with the Jones. Close family and friends, fresh air, good food lovingly prepared, growing veg (and livestock).

In Manchester we had lots of the aforementioned "stuff", but I wouldn't swap what we've got now for all that and more.

Is that right Green Aura? I want a bmw 735 and a helicopter but I NEED food and shelter etc.

Big al.
Secret Asparagus binger

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah, you don't really - that's just brainwashing by the admen! :lol:
Maggie

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Green Aura wrote:Nah, you don't really - that's just brainwashing by the admen! :lol:
Got to be if he wants a BMW. What other reason is there for having one? Much rather have a series 2 Landrover (and an Austin healey Sprite for weekends)

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

invisiblepiper

Yep - sounds like far too pleasant a guy to drive a BMW..................... :lol:
(Robert Frost)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh well if we're entering realms of fantasy, bodrighy, I want a Karmann ghia and a villa in the south of france :lol:
Maggie