Are supermarkets evil?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are supermarkets evil?

I had a full out blazing row with my girlfriend (Emma) the other day over shopping at Tescos. I had to back down, not because women are better at arguing than men :wink: but because she was right, I had bought a can of economy peeled plum tomatoes and she said that is goes against everything that I stand for, it means poor pay for farmers, probally GM, definetly not organic and could be flown from the other side of the world.

But are all supermarkets evil, well strong word unethical perhaps.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

I,ve had rows with my old man because HE shops in T***o!

I used to, but don,t any more.
I don,t think ethics and big business are really compatible. They are convenient though, so I try to limit my supermarket trips to the co-op.
They seem to be the lesser of the evils IMO.
Knowing me though, I,m probably wrong :lol:
I want to wake up in the morning and see green!

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have little choice but to shop in supermarkets! Either got to drive 20km to a supermarket or the same distance to a market. We don't have such things as greengrocers and the market veg are highly priced rubbish. I certainly won't get cheddar from a market and I don't have the time (or money) to shop in a market and I can't stand crowds. So no I don't think supermarkets are evil, just shopping in general is hell, except in England, where I can't WAIT to get to a supermarket and fill up the car!!!

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We sometimes drive 15 miles to go to shop in Barnard Castle - it has no real supermarket, but lots of little shops. We justify the trip on the grounds of keeping people in work and helping to keep the supermarket developers at bay. Ironically, many if not most of local in Barney, make the reverse journey to Bishop Auckland to do their shopping at Asda or Morrisons. I know what I prefer of the two, better if we had as good a choice here though, as such a round trip isn't really green.

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Im afraid Im with MMM,where I live there is no local shop apart from the supermarket unless I want to take a long and very expensive bus trip to the nearset town and then with at least one child in a pushchair,Im limited to what I can carry. We do have a local market (well 6 miles away) but unless I can get a lift,I cant get there on the bus. The small local shops in the next village are very over priced for poor quality goods as they know they have,especially the elderly,over a barrel,a practise that I cant really describe as ethical. So its the supermarket for the things that we cant produce ourselves until we have an accessable,ecnomical alternative.
Now, what did I come in here for??????

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have had rows with Linda and younger daughter over italian canned tomatoes so I know what you mean - they still tend to see the price as the only consideration. We do use our local Woolies becasue it is in walking distance but it is at best a mixed blessing.

(Don't you hate it when they are right, Andy!)

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

I can understand it why there is no other option but the supermarket for some - but I try to avoid them wherever possible. Anybody who's read "Shopped" will know why (see book reviews). I've just lent that book to my boss, he says he gave up reading after about 3/4 of the book because it was too depressing. His girlfriend is reading it now. And, being involved in farming myself, I know that what's in the book is absolutely true - nothing exaggerated. If we still want to have farmers in a few years' time, we'd better stop buying at supermarkets.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

Has anyone been on this site?

http://www.tescopoly.org/

I'm not sure if I am allowed to publicize this link like that. Don't want to get Admin into trouble.
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

The Chili Monster

I would prefer to buy my produce from a Farmers' Market locally, and yes, they don't just exist locally they positively thrive. The problem is that many are held weekdays only and in a society where many couples both have to work just to keep a roof over their heads, many people are denied the choice between purchasing fresh produce and Supermarket copies.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

ina

Great, LSP - I've just had a quick look at the site, I'll need more time for that!

Yes, that's the problem with farmers' markets. Although they are Saturdays here, I still don't always make it - I work every other Saturday, and depending on how much is on, and how far away the market is, I don't always make it before 1pm, when they invariably finish. Fortunately there are also a few farm shops - but again, not always open, mostly just seasonal. I'm sure I'll discover more opportunities like these where I can buy local stuff; it's just a lot to remember, when and where to buy what!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Shirley

I try to avoid supermarkets - it's not very easy though. I don't have a lot of money - especially as we are not working.

That said, it can be cheaper to buy from places other than the supermarkets. Did anyone see the (Tonight With Trevor McDonald I think lol) programme the other day where they were talking about loss leaders that supermarkets use to get people in the door, and that people really only looked at the prices on these main day to day items - and that if they thought they were cheap, this would influence their choice of where to shop.

Farmer's markets here every Saturday but at a different location each week - our nearest is about 20 miles away, the others are 30+.

I've yet to investigate farm shops - but am hoping that we'll get a good enough crop to provide the majority of our veggies ourselves. I know where we can get good free range organic pork and geese locally, we have our own chickens, and maybe one day will have our own sheep again.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thinking aloud: Has anyone considered going into business?

When my aunt moved into what was a rather posh but (then) rural area in Singapore, I was fascinated by the mobile shop that came once or twice a week, or it could even be daily, I don't remember.

The guy tooted his horn and residents came out to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, eggs, even dry goods, etc. All the 'essentials' basically. A man came round in the evening on his bicycle selling bread. When people didn't all drive cars or didn't want to drive cars, these were welcome services. One mobile shop supplying many households in a large-ish area would surely mean cutting down on carbon emissions?

With the internet these days, food can be ordered ahead to cut down on wastage. What is needed is a co-ordinating centre, really, and people could sell surplus vege, etc in the local area, or slightly further afield.

Or am I in cloud cuckoo land? again? :?
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

The area I used to live had a van come around with the basics. It was a bit more expensive than the shops but very convenient as we were a bit off the beaten track. Always fresh, local breads and goods though.
I,m probably showing my age again, but I even remember an onion seller that came around on his bike. How long ago must that have been? :lol:
I want to wake up in the morning and see green!

Shirley

LSP wrote: With the internet these days, food can be ordered ahead to cut down on wastage. What is needed is a co-ordinating centre, really, and people could sell surplus vege, etc in the local area, or slightly further afield.

Or am I in cloud cuckoo land? again? :?
Thst is exactly what we want to do here!!! We are in a rural area and have already taken deliveries to someone who can't get out to do it themselves. Want to do this but can't afford the start up costs.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shirlz2005 wrote:This is exactly what we want to do here!!! We are in a rural area and have already taken deliveries to someone who can't get out to do it themselves. Want to do this but can't afford the start up costs.
Can you get a grant from anywhere?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging