'Ish Christmas

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 'Ish Christmas

when I had my son - I asked all family if we could cut present giving down to just the kids. This was received with enthusiasm - and everyone thought I was being really kind - but really we couldn't afford it.

himselfs family always still did the present giving thing.. and i have been on at himself to ask if we could stop - he said they would be unhappy about it.. but this year he did.. turns out they feel the same! we were swapping stupid things neither of us wanted. - so it is worth checking, some time before December, if everyone still wants to do present swapping.

now, i buy things for the kids in my family, and the rest of the extended family get homemade items (knitted, or chutneys and jams or fudge etc) - but we dont have to.. and i enjoy making things.. so it is fun again.

between himself and i.. we do still swap presents, but we long ago went to vast wish lists. so we get things we actually want. the lists are so long, that its a surprise still - last year himself gave me a book on crocheting, and it was so exactly what I wanted I was chuffed to bits.. then he had to point out I had chosen it! - but I had done so so long ago I had forgotten!.

we also put down thigns that are useful - rigger gloves are going on my list again this year!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Rosendula

red wrote: between himself and i.. we do still swap presents, but we long ago went to vast wish lists. so we get things we actually want. the lists are so long, that its a surprise still - last year himself gave me a book on crocheting, and it was so exactly what I wanted I was chuffed to bits.. then he had to point out I had chosen it! - but I had done so so long ago I had forgotten!.

we also put down thigns that are useful - rigger gloves are going on my list again this year!
The best and most memorable presents my OH has given me on various occasions are a greenhouse, a compost bin and a water butt.

I really don't like it when people put money in a card for me. I feel so ungrateful, and then get mad at myself for being ungrateful.
Rosey xx

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Last year we made small 'gift bags' for family and friends. The only things we bought were the actual gift bags (recycled paper ones) and the jars (which were nearly all given back to us)

This year, we plan on doing the same.... and having mentioned it to several relatives etc, have been really happy with the responses. We've had requests for certain cakes and biscuits that we made last year, and also recipe requests...

So, this year our bags will contain a selection of the following:

Summer fruit Jam
Damson Jam
Chilli Jam (savoury)
Plum Jam

Elderflower cordial
Elderflower 'champagne'

Millionaire's shortbread
Chocolate & Hazelbut biscotti
Gingerbread/parkin
Chocolate chip cookies

Healing Salve
Bath milk
Bath bombs

And for those with canine friends, a couple of packages of homemade dog treats....

These will come in a recycled paper bag, with a handmade tag. We don't buy anything else for Christmas for friends/relatives, and only spend a nominal amount on each other
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

WOW! i'd be more than happy to receive any of that!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

My fondest memories of Christmas as a child was making the decorations. We used left over paper to make paper chains and cut out stars and other shapes which were covered in glitter. It was great fun getting messy and a lovely time spent with my mum.

Zoe

prison break fan

MY daughter and I and little dog are "escaping Christmas" this year by going to a caravan on the Hampshire coast. Can't wait. I feel a bit mean about the rest of the family, as I usually have son wife and grandchildren for the day, but this year they will just have to manage without me! pbf.

ShaunP
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Have decided this year that the only presents I give to family this year will be......there Turkey for the dinner!! Bought 5 Turkey Poults so that the other family memers get I useful present for a change!!!

red

I think one of the best things you can give kids at Christmas is - you time!

because I home educate my son, I can decide what we do and the last week o fhome ed (before we start 'holidays') is dedicated to Christmas things. I read 'a Christmas carol' out loud, one chapter a day, we make biscuits and mince pies, we do lots of craft things etc

At Christmas itself, spending time playing board games etc, is a lot of fun, and when I look back at my own childhood christmas's - its the family time I cherish, when adults were able to play games or fool about outside etc
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I always make xmas decorations and have a 2d paper 'tree' that has been surrounded by presents the last few years.

Home made booze, ready for xmas, second hand outfits from charity shops, gifts of packets of seeds (amongst other home made goodies), second hand toys for the kids (though teenagers are so difficult to buy for).

I am pretty much sorted with the hamper making this year though still need to sort out the OH!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I agree with red. As a child much younger than all my immediate and extended family I did get quite a lot of presents. But my abiding memory is not the presents (a few stand out but not many) but the time spent with the adults sitting round the table talking for hours (all sorts of rubbish usually, but highly enjoyable nonetheless) - Christmas dinner seemed to last for ever.

Oh and the anticipation of opening the presents, we always waited until the afternoon when all the aunts, uncles and cousins came round, to open them - not rush down in the morning and rip everything open. Everyone I knew who did that had broken or forgotten toys by Boxing Day. I did get Santa's sack though, waiting on the bottom of my bed for when I woke up - full of small things, satsumas, Cadburys fingers, a diary etc. So I had already had some stuff!! :iconbiggrin:

And long walks on Boxing Day to get over eating too much.

These days we've cut down drastically, but still splash out on better wines and treats (homebrew gets us through the rest of the year :lol: ) and I cook more elaborate dishes, but not too much.

Unfortunately OHs family think we give homemade gifts because we're broke, and they don't appreciate the time or effort that goes into making them. So since moving up here I've resorted to good old fleabay for their gifts. New stuff,of course - re-used, recycled are not in their vocabulary :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

This year the xmas break will be spent rewireing the house!

We will have our Spiritual celebrations on Yule, (21st Dec for us), then have a big family meal on Boxing Day. We have Goose as none of our family likes turkey & the 2 SinL will get their resective turkey fixes at their parents' meal.

The only gifts we are giving are hand made with that vital added ingredient: LOVE!!!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

My daughter and I started the tradition long ago to give gifts either homemade or inexpensive gag gifts or on the rare ocassion the one big thing that is really needed and there are funds for it, NO loans! Also using newspaper for wrapping paper, the extended family just thinks we are either strange or cheap, I proudly claim both.

I have yet to figure out where my girlfriend (of a few months) is at with all this, she really likes all the "hobbies" I have (gardening, food perserving, wine and beer making). But I guess I will find out exactly what she expects when the holidays roll around. Her family is fairly well-to do and seem to live much more extravigant than I do.

Flo

My family asked what I wanted for Xmas and I said nothing, honestly nothing. There's nothing wanted or needed. I do hope that they get the message.

There's one family member who would be a bit shocked if we did absolutely nothing. So I'll lead a joined up family effort for that one - and make it things she has to use rather than things that she has to move next time she shifts house (happens regularly as husband is in the military).

The others - well one has a new baby due early January so I'm knitting madly as well as providing baby bits and the other has had a present that covers everything for all the year's events at the price of it. But it was something that was wanted, desired and treasured when handed over.

thesunflowergal

Flo wrote:Ain't you got Xmas in a nutshell there. Spendfest!
I was quite shocked to overhear a conversation between two Mums that I know. It went a bit like this:

Mum 1: How much do you spend on your kids at Christmas?
Mum 2: About £250 each.
Mum 1: Ok then that gives me liscence to spend more than that then.

Both of these Mums have twins that are two and a half, what will they be doing when they are teenagers? Each to their own I guess. I haven't spent nearly that on three kids, and I certainly do not feel the need too.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

With bored, moody 'IWANTS' for kids! yuck!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!