Letting go....

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Letting go....

Right - should I or should I not..

The biggest ungreen thing in this house of mine is the Hotpoint Condensing Tumble dryer I have in the spare room - now I got this back ooo 18 months or so ago and paid a fair whack too. But used it for those rainy days when I was dating the "missus" back then.. (it was soo handy.. chuck it in during the colder months etc...)

Then there is me now.. I've moved on in life towards the greenier me, used it what 2/3 times this year so far and here we are Dec 2010 - and now I am thinking.. do I really need it now? Not crying out for space nor ££ for its resale.. but letting go - what if I need it in the future? I dunno would you? It feels hard letting go of the security that something might bring (sad I know lol) But still, do I?

Reason I ask, I would like to cut back - and since I only used it what 2-3 times this year and the great buy I made of getting one of those victorian clothes pulley things to go on the celiling- fancastic things.. mine is up in the hallway above the stairs. Out of the way and clothes dry withing 12 hours in 16c odd house with heating barely on :thumbright:

Still.. would you - and, if it does go.. what would you treat yourself with the £100 odd from its sale?

Mick

:flower:

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Letting go....

Get rid, yesterdays gone.And dont spend the wonga on anything 'worthy ' you've already done well getting shot of it,blow it on something frivolous for you and your partner.

MandyWB
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Definitely let go. I'd buy some fruit trees/bushes so I could enjoy that smug feeling year after year :flower:

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't let it go, just archive it ... who knows what you could use it for in the future.

pelmetman

I'd let it go, I had one many years ago and only used it a few times so gave it away.

Never had any problem getting clothes dry. When the weather permits it's outside on the lines. In the winter it goes on the clothes horse in one of the downstair spare rooms and is always dry the next morning.

Given an extra £100 at this time of year I'd put it towards our next holiday.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Noooo don't let the damn thing go, someone will just use it lol.
Keep it and who knows it may become some retro antique in about 50 years or so and be worth a massive amount of money!

Big Al

get shot of it and buy a bottle of wine.....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Rosendula

You say you haven't used it much, but you HAVE used it. I would wait until winter's past and if you haven't used it at all this winter, you know you can live without it.

£100? Hmm. I'd probably buy myself a new bike trailer. The old one's not dead yet, but I've never been satisfied with it since I got it off Freegle.
Rosey xx

spider8

We've never had one. Our washer spin speed means the clothes come out only damp them we dry it on hangers/rails in the spare room.
Give the old one away on Freecycle then somebody won't be buying a new machine.
As for the money humm, have a short break away somewhere.......or be boring/savvy and put it towards winter fuel bills!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Howabout treating yourselves to a greenhouse? (think 'weapons into ploughshares')

I had a tumble dryer when I lived in a flat but even then I hung stuff on the balcony when weather permitted. I sold mine when my eldest came out of nappies. She's 24 now & I've never regretted my decision, even when our youngest (& her use of nappies), came along. I pop my washing in the polytunnel in the inclemant weather, all year 'round.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

crowsashes

idont have one, even with the messiest toddler i still manage to wash and dry clothes effectively. TBH i hate them, noisy rattly things that shrink your clothes!

hadmy washing out yesterday and it was almost dry when i brought it in (neighbours must think im loopy) , clothes airer overnight - job done :lol:

Helsbells

I agree, get rid. I have lived without a tumble dryer for the last 9 years and have not missed it a bit. I can honestly say I have never thought "oh if only I had a tumble dryer".

Flo

Ask the wife. :mrgreen: Ain't that what she's there for - to make the decisions :mrgreen: Either she wants the machine or she wants the £££££ :mrgreen:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

You say you've used it 2/3 times. Did you really really NEED to use it or was it just chuck it in cos you felt like wearing that stuff that day? I got rid of mine when it broke down 10 years ago and haven't bothered getting another one. So I'd say get rid and use the money for something funky like a holiday (not that you'll get far on £100) or the fruit trees as already suggested.

Zoe

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just an update

Decided to let go and it sold within hours to a lovelly couple near me.. I saw one on eBay fetch £145 for the model I got, so I though I try £140 and got it.. woohoo.

Funny though as I watch it go... I overcome with a warm fuzzy feeling that I made the next big step of the greenier life. Love it.

As for the money - chickens are going to benifit from it as I am half though the new build of the ark and their pen for home and allotment (the last one their enclosure collapsed in the snow - so the hens are locked up in the caravan for the time being). Spending some decent £ for a decent home built one and I am currently building up (photos in the coming weeks on another post)

Mick