Saving the planet

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saving the planet

Just read an interesting article on the BBC news site about food pyramids. If you take the "conventional" food pyramid with fruit and veg at the top and create it using calories provided versus CO2 emmisions, it turns it pretty much upside down.
It turns out that if you have to buy food, the best is chocolate and the worst is tinned and frozen vegetables.

It seems that those amongst us that grow our own veg and produce our own eggs are in the top league at seriously saving the planet.
In that case I think I deserve a bar of chocolate ... :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Saving the planet

Bar of chocolate involves transport - bet that wasn't included in the C02 ratio. Perhaps I should eat less bread. :oops:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

As I'm on a diet, Chocolate and bread are not on the list at all. :(

However my organic veg is all produced locally even if I haven't grown any of it myself this year. That can't be bad surely?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flo wrote:Bar of chocolate involves transport - bet that wasn't included in the C02 ratio. Perhaps I should eat less bread. :oops:
I just read the start of the actual paper Flo and it says ... "A carbon footprint is the sum of greenhouse gas emissions (GHGEs) associated with food production, processing, transporting, and retailing."
But it insists that the meat industry produces less CO2 than egg laying chicken, which I find hard to believe. Of course they are comparing battery chicken farms with constant lighting, extractor fans and highly processed food, with the net result of one egg per hen.
The BBC are right on the ball though as that paper is copyright 2015.
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:As I'm on a diet, Chocolate and bread are not on the list at all
It's going to be a bleak Christmas north of the border this year. :santa:
Tony