How self sufficient are your December celebrations?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

How self sufficient are your December celebrations?

Go on then - how much of it is based on stuff that you have grown, scavenged, foraged?

Me? Not a lot. Am still using up wrapping paper from years ago - don't think a 6 year old who is learning to read in Swiss German would appreciate his parcel wrapped up in an English newspaper for one. The Christmas card box has enough in it for years to come.

The sprouts failed on me so the only thing on the allotment is the last few leeks. I've plenty in the freezer in the way of vegetables for me and think that I have enough apples for the season.

A lot of the cooking I'm going to do will come out of the store cupboards even if it's not stuff I have grown and preserved.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: How self sufficient are your December celebrations?

In terms of grown, scavenged or foraged - er, none. The only thing we have left from our home grown stuff this year are chillies - they probably won't play much part in our Christmas dinner.

As for preparation all of it will be from scratch, including some nice, aged "cheese" for the gal - cashewnut style. Roast pork for us, last of the half pig we buy (possibly ever as we don't seem to be able to find a new source). Sorry, the Xmas pud is bought - it seems to be a growing event buying our next year's pud in the New Year. It would appear we like our pud aged as well as the vegan cheese.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah well, that's the beauty of being retired and can spend whatever time it takes to grow stuff.

Vegetables, we have plenty of sprouts, Savoy cabbage, leeks, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, swede, onions and would you believe .. fresh peas. Also soon there will be PSB.
For the pud and mincemeat we have plenty of home produced sultanas, raisins and dried apricots, as well as eating and cooking apples in store.

Oh and fresh tomatoes of course. :tongue:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo

So is anyone doing presents that they have made or otherwise not bought from commercial sources?

Hmm - thought possibly not! :mrgreen:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yes, our gal has a jumper and beanie that I knitted for her. She got it early because she went to Edinburgh for a hen do in sub zero temperatures a couple of weeks ago. A friend down South will be sent a special essential oil blend and a couple of neighbours will get a jar of my sauerkraut or other fermented veg or fruit.

That's it though. I've cut right back on presents - basically just the three of us. Unfortunately many of our relatives view the festivities in terms of what they get and its cost (not worth). So we backed out gracefully (I think). I find I can just about deal with the whole period when it's kept extremely simple.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't really do Christmas, so no presents for anyone really, except the MIL, I did her a big photo on Photobox, when we did a flying visit, I got a picture of her, her daughter and Son and little dog on the sofa so I thought she would love that, it was the first time they had been together for 6 years, she has already opened it, but I guess being 85 she might think it better to open her stuff. I make jars of home made mincemeat and christmas puddings which people always like to get, but haven't given any away this year as people are going other places and won't get to use them. Garden wise, we have all the veg, spuds, parsnips, carrots, onions, flower sprouts, red and green cabbage, kales, leeks, so we won't starve

bonniethomas06

We have had a bit of a financial bomb go off early this month, so our Christmas will be pared right down.

We will be using the last of the cards from last year, unfortunately have to buy an xmas tree as we don't have a fake, so will be buying from the nursery down the road (who grow their own). But our decorations will be greenery from the garden and surrounding areas.

I will be supplementing presents with hedgerow jelly and homemade chutney, but alas wasn't organised enough to make anything substantial, but have plans to be organised and knit more for next year.

Not going to buy anything at all that we don't need, and pressies will be little things for people to open. We just have the 'rents coming for xmas dinner, so that will be low-key and hopefully low-cost. Actually quite looking forward to having a more simple xmas.

No veg from the garden this year sadly, but next year just wait...I can't wait to grow the lot!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com