Hot weather and water

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Weedo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Hot weather and water

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 am

Just for a laugh

Working in a Northern rural city for a few days last week and noticed this sign above garden taps outside the accomodation; are these people for real or is it a totally risk adverse society demanding sanitised water?
Attachments
What.jpg
What.jpg (194.8 KiB) Viewed 203 times
The winner of the rat race is still a rat!

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 am

I wouldn't drink rainwater - it contains all the muck, dust and bird shit that's been collecting on the roofs and other areas from which it has been collected for the past several weeks...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 am

Now our allotments are on town water - do you reckon that's safe to drink? :lol:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:43 am

You'll have to take a filter bottle, Flo.

I know what you mean, Weedo. You sometimes have to wonder how humans ever survived until chlorine, antibiotics and bleach saved us all. Although I suppose a lot didn't. Still, I think the general public's immune system would be a lot stronger with maybe just a little more exposure to a bit of dirt.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 pm

The island where I used to live had poor groundwater, and a lot of people had rainwater collection systems to supplement their wells. Rainwater can be used for drinking, but the system has to be designed with that in mind.

They put a sediment collection tank in the line to collect the first few gallons of a rainstorm. Only the subsequent rain, after the roof has (presumably) been flushed makes it to the collection tank. The water would then be filtered and treated with a UV light before use.

Weedo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 pm

I travel across NSW and Oz for work a great deal and have done so for over 30 years, often to remote areas with poor water supplies and zero treatment. I grew up drinking rainwater. creek water and dam water; in our hot summers you take water where you can get it. I always drink the local water and have never had any ill effects (perhaps because they places are remote?) We have a tank in town we use for drinking water, the town supply stinks of chemicals, and on the patch it is untreated rainwater and river water. Three generations have survived this process so far.

One enterprising chappy from further south is catching and bottling rainwater and selling it you guys for $A8.00 a bottle.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat!