green manufacturing save treadle sewing machines

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

The material was left over from a skirt she wanted. Took ages to do the lining as my brain isn't working properly at the moment and I kept putting it in inside out :oops:

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Wow Philip

That's a beautiful bag... you are very clever. Thanks for the pics :cheers: :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks, not really that clever though just reasonably good with my hands.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice one mate! Well done! :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

pol
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Great to hear they're still making them in India - I've just bought a hand-powered Frister and Rossmann for £5... but it doesn't have a needle...does anyone know where I'd get one from? The hand powered Singer I have doesn't have the same needles... help! I'm dying to use it! :roll:
...make a morsbag.com...

titch7069
Tom Good
Tom Good

my mum has a (old) electric F&R machine, she gets her needles from John Lewis, fitting 'might' be the same.
Have sold up in the UK, now living on Mafia Island, in the middle of an old coconut plantation. We catch our fish, have chickens, grow fruit and veg. We are powered by solar and an ankur gasifier - no mains elec here!!
My blog is at www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/titch

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Last year I tried to sell an F&R machine in reasonable condition on Ebay. No reserve. It didn't even get one bid but then it wasn't a treadle one. It got donated to a charity shop in the end.

I was getting rid of it because it only did a straight stitch and the tension was a bit beyond redemption. It was pretty rather than useful. I just hope the charity made something from it.

Paddy's mum
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The OP comments got me thinking and I suddenly developed a real 'yen' to obtain one - maybe because it triggered off memories of my mother and aunt gaily pedalling along making curtains, dungarees for us kids etc.

Finally got one on ebay for £40. The casing is sound though a bit scruffy but the machine has been well maintained and it had lots of spares/accessories with it. It wasn't too far away from us so we had, into the bargain, a nice drive out on a sunny day. The best bit of all is that it was being sold for a charity that helps children in Swaziland.

Have just had my sewing room (well, basically a large corner of the loft!) completed and now have only to get it up there and into position. Then I can start making the patchwork, pinnies, peg bags, window quilts that I have been promising my hubby for ever that I would do from the huge collection of fabrics I have been acquiring and storing for at least five years!

Many thanks to jonny2mad for coming up with the original thread.

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i have an electric machine and my grannies treadle machine i tend to use the treadle for heavy fabrics and leathers also its a good keep fit machine great for firming the thighs and calf muscles :lol:
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's great to realise you're not alone... I got a funny look from my other half when I bought an old singer sewing machine at carboot sale. It's one of the early electric conversion ones, but has space for a belt if I ever find a working treadle table... :dave:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

The trouble is that the pubs have all pinched the treadle tables. Good luck finding one.

jonny2mad
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ive seen quite a few recently saw one in a carboot in brigend saw a treadle with sewing machine in a car boot in chedder on sunday seen quite a few in local papers .
Ive also been buying more sewing machines in car boots Ive bought about another 6 for about £5 each

anyway if people want advice on sewing machines or where to get spares try looking at http://needlebar.org/bb2/index.php thats a forum for sewing machine collectors their very nice and they have a great gallery of all types of old sewing machines .

my frister rossmann is on it

hamster

Ooh, yeah, I really want one of these! I've managed to restrain myself till I move into a proper house in the summer though, as there isn't really space in my room. (Also, I'm supposed to be revising and getting a degree, not sewing - I've got the whole rest of my life for that.) There are loads on ebay that are really cheap, but I'm worried they'll be missing loads of bits and not have instruction manuals etc... Also, getting them home could be rather tricky...

I was talking to my mum the other day and she said when she was at school they had to buy the uniform material and make their own summer dresses! I can only think of about two people at my school who'd have been able to do that. It's sad how many skills have been lost by my lazy generation...

jonny2mad
Tom Good
Tom Good

well you can view the instruction manuals for most singers on needlebar , and all of the machines Ive bought have been working fine except a 1880s machine which is missing a small part I should be able to make but I knew that when I bought it .

you can get things like needles, treadle cables, accessorys, instruction books, on ebay .

The last machine I bought thats last sunday was a singer 221 which was one of the best machines singer ever made and its like new had its instruction book and a box of accessorys and it was £5 to me this is a joke price .

Ive allready got the same model that my grandmother made all the family clothes on but thats on a treadle

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taaa Daaaaa!

I just inherited my wifes, mothers treadle sewing machine! We have jsut come back from a visit and while we were there she asked me if I wanted it. Boy did I! It is a lovely little 1929 Bebarfalds Bluebird in excellent condition. Ripper!

Nev :cheers:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/