How to shop without buying anything

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

How to shop without buying anything

When i shop I often find myself using different strategies to stop impulse buying. Wrote about this in my blog here:
http://organically.blogspot.com/2008/01 ... thing.html

The most useful 'anti-buying mantras' are:

1) “Do I really need another of those?â€
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

not going to the shops in the first place helps a lot...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

red wrote:not going to the shops in the first place helps a lot...
works for me every time... except on amazon... a good book or film gets me everytime :mrgreen: library and DVD rental have helped but, it's just not quite the same.

I tend not to go out to the shops because I hate other customers (all those years of working in a shop :lol: )
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

must admit i do like amazon...

not keen on crowds and.. well.. people.. much.. so dislike actually shoppingin shops
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

ina

Amazon or play.com are only on when I'm after a particular book. But going into bookshops is always dangerous... :( Other shops leave me cold. Most of them have musac on, which drives me out doublequick, even if I do need something!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Ellendra

I prefer shopping online too, I even signed up with this program where I get rebates if I shop starting from the links on their website. Not having any money usually keeps me from impulse buying.

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

..... if it is fashionable now it will be out of fashion next year ....

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I really dislike shops and shopping

so
don't go there
and
can't afford it

sorted :lol:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

What about looking at it in terms of how many hours you'd have to work to be able to pay for it?

Andrea
NZ

Mainer in Exile

The best thing I've found is to simply make a list of what I need before I leave the house, and then stick to the list when I get to the shops.

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

In supermarkets...I think....that all the tins are leeching lead, all the veg and fruit is full of pesticides, the meat has blue tongue or something, the eggs are from confined chickens, loadsa sugar anyway, loadsa salt to keep products on the shelf longer.
Have to dom this especially at shops like Lidl where they have 40% off and as recently 70% off.
Leave only footprints..take only photographs and wabbits.

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

Archie wrote:all the tins are leeching lead, all the veg and fruit is full of pesticides, the meat has blue tongue or something, the eggs are from confined chickens, loadsa sugar anyway, loadsa salt to keep products on the shelf longer.
Thanks! Made me laugh. Especially when I've just been reading about lead in vinyl lunch boxes that children take to school.

I have to walk through the 'fashion' and 'accessories' bit of a store to get to the food section. I go there during the week to get some fresh produce and bread because it's within walking distance. The sales have been on and I imagine it must be quite difficult to walk past some of these 'bargains' when they scream '20% off today'.
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

Milims

I have to confess I do like wandering thru shopping areas. I like to people watch, to look at the colours, the way things are put together and to generally disappear in a crowd. In fact the entire scenario amuses and distracts me. Therefore I have lots of "mantras". My usual one for clothes/ accessories/household goods is "buying that is like having an ar**hole - everyone else has one too!"
My biggest failing is food - having been skint for a long time and having a real desire to make sure my family doesn't go hungry. Apart from having Chris telling me "there's no room in the freezer", I've really started to be conscious about how things are produced, what's in them and mostly the effect they have on my children and on their future - health wise and for the future of their word. So now I find it really uncomfortable to walk down the cleaning products aisles and I take my time when buying the other stuff. If there was a better choice and better quality of local producer and I had the means to produce more of my own - I think I'd avoid the supermarket altogether!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

I hate shopping. That's the deterrent for me. I make my lists, schedule a day out about once a fortnight for errands/shopping (we live rural, so I try to be organised about it), and just put my head down and go. I like farmer's market type shopping, and that's about it.

When we had more disposable income, what helped me not overspend was to think about how many hours I or my husband would have to work to pay a particular item.

Andrea
NZ

Thurston Garden

I hate shopping, have no money, but on the rare occasion we do have some spare (there is always too much month left at the end of the money :oops: ) there's nothing we want.

I do like looking at eBay though - second hand stuff....kitchenalia, land rover bits, books, tools....

I am not allowing myself to buy anything new this year anyhoo save consumables, underwear and essential land rover parts. So far, so good (although almost fell when I saw a 3 Daft Monkeys CD on play.com for £5.99!)
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)