Best place to grow tomatoes

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best place to grow tomatoes

Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Reading a post by Green Aura about deciding to grow her tomatoes behind glass, reminded me that I've been meaning to mention something I noticed this year.
This year I'm growing tomatoes in 4 different places as I didn't get the new greenhouse finished in time (still not finished). I have 4 in the conservatory, 9 in my small 8' x 6' greenhouse, some in the top of my west tunnel and some in the bottom of my east tunnel.
As you would expect the conservatory ones are miles in front of the others, all double glazed and the temperature never goes below about 14c overnight, so why wouldn't they.
But next are the small greenhouse ones, even though the temperature fluctuates like mad, especially when I'm a bit late opening and closing it at night.
Both my tunnels are on a definite slope end to end, meaning that they are hotter at the top end. The west tunnel gets more light and the tomatoes are planted at the top. The east tunnel is shaded until late morning and the tomatoes are planted at the bottom.
But ... the east tunnel ones are further forward that the west tunnel ones.
No idea why that would be, but if I hadn't spread the plants around 4 places I would never have discovered that conundrum. :scratch:
But it certainly shows that tomatoes prefer glass to polythene.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best place to grow tomatoes

Wed May 24, 2017 2:11 pm

I forgot to add, they are all mixtures of varieties, so overall it shouldn't make that much difference, but it did show up which individual varieties prefer warmer conditions than I was able to provide in April.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Return to “Herbs and Vegetables”