Mints

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
sususanan

Mints

Is it too obvious to think a mint garden, various types of mint together, would grow well, or is there something in the different mints that would cause them to grow poorly in that situation?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Mints

I don't think there's any problem, I think some like to have their roots wetter than others but that could be achieved by planting on a slope. I'd grow them all in some sort of container though, or you may never find the rest of your garden again. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

sususanan

There are sooo many types of mint readily available now. I might start with a large container just for a few, like the Swiss mint I got yesterday, and dig up some apple mint and chocolate mint to put in aswell. That might be better as it would be raised above the ground level and I'll pick up on the fragrance more!

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have an old cold frame type construction made of wood that was used for storage as the previous tenant on the allotment didn't have/couldn't afford a shed. It's been filled with home made compost over the years and now contains peppermint, chocolate mint, apple mint, Moroccan mint, an odd variegated thyme and there seems to be no problem with them all growing together.

RenewableCandy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 54

We have Apple Mint and SpearMint in pots. They're tough as old boots as far as weather's concerned: drought, 12 below zero, they always come back.

I think you're better off with pots (as already pointed out) because (a) mints otherwise spread like weeds and (b) picking from a container's less punishing for a back.
Fantasy novel 'The Price of Time'

Soyez réaliste: demandez l'impossible :sunny:

Website - Blog - Stories