Red onions

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Red onions

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Always seem to come out smaller than regular yellow onions? Why is this? What is the secret to getting big red onions?

Weedo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Red onions

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 pm

For me using a wider spacing at 150mm approx and using soluble fertiliser rather than compost etc. Onions don't seem to like much organic matter. I discovered the wider planting technique this year when the cockatoos and galahs ate 3 out of 4 plants.

However, we grow diferent varieties (short day to intermediate) here than you would so the rules will be different. We plant May / June (end spring) for December harvest.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red onions

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:33 am

I can't comment on red onions as I don't grow them due to their inferior keeping abilities, but I can confirm Weedo's point that onions prefer liquid fertiliser.
I start mine off in cells, multiple sown roughly 3 to a cell and plant them out close spaced as I actually want smaller onions. During late spring I start watering them with liquid seaweed once every now and again when I remember and that really gives them a boost.
I still get quite a few that are too big for my liking, but the majority end up about tennis ball sized, plus a handful pickling sized.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.