In my polytunnel continued ..

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my polytunnel continued ..

Salad anyone ?
Lettuce.jpg
Lettuce.jpg (99.35 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
I love winter lettuce, even more that the summer ones.
Cauliflower.jpg
Cauliflower.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
And finally ... these are my All Year Round Cauliflower.
I love these to and I always have some on the go.

All I have to do now is get my outside garden up to the same standard.
It needs to be dug ASAP as I need to get my early potatoes in next week.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: In my polytunnel continued ..

I'm so jealous!!! pbf

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I ordered my poly-tunnel last night.... woop!

More photos please they are inspirational.... plus I can see your layout of beds... I am taking notes :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

There you go Ann.
My polytunnel when it was all new and hardly used.
The paths had weed control matting put down with a covering of sand and works very well.
polytunnel.jpg
polytunnel.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
Tony

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is beautiful, so very neat.

How long is it again?

Do you have problems with roots against the outside walls of plastic? I would have thought they would poke through or proove detrimental to the plant?

Do you have a permanent wall of mesh down the centre? It looks like that would be a good idea and it looks like that is what you have in you photo of your mangetout
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote:That is beautiful, so very neat.

How long is it again?

Do you have problems with roots against the outside walls of plastic? I would have thought they would poke through or proove detrimental to the plant?

Do you have a permanent wall of mesh down the centre? It looks like that would be a good idea and it looks like that is what you have in you photo of your mangetout
Not so neat now Ann, this photo I just took this morning shows it warts 'n all :flower:
Today.jpg
Today.jpg (109.79 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
And this was what it looked like in June 2007 ........
June2007.jpg
June2007.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
It is 30 feet long (5 x 6'0" bays) and 12 feet wide which is just about big enough in the winter but could do with being twice as long in the spring/summer.
As you can probably now see, I have 6 foot lengths of fencing mesh that the peas grow up. I have several lengths as I always have some mange tout growing somewhere in there and as soon as one lot starts to fade I sow another row.
The polythene at the sides is buried about a foot deep (as per instructions) and I have had no trouble with plants putting their roots outside.
As far as the other direction, I have had no problem with couch grass, nettles, buttercup etc getting in (under) but I did have a few bracken shoots appear the first year ... I yanked them up and they gave up after a month or so. The only thing that still gets in/under is Sheep Sorrel which is maybe just a problem to the milder western regions, I never came across it in Kent, it's a creeping version of the normal Sorrel.

Anything else you want to know .. ask away.
One thing's for certain, you will wonder how you ever managed without a polytunnel in six months time :cheers:
Tony

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am very excited..... but the biggest tunnel that we could stretch or budget to is only 12x15 :( still better than what we have now.... which is nothing.... and I have heard it is easy enough to extend at a later date.

If you (or anyone else) have any other recommendations or comments that wold be great.

I am going to copy your bed layout (not copyrighted is it? :lol: ) but I will also get some hanging baskets to squeeze more in.

I see that your greenhouse is quite close to your tunnel, I guess they share water supply?.... the position I plan for my tunnel is 90m from the house and with no other buildings near I will need to get a water harvest system going.....hmmmm..... I have a small plan involving some old corrugated roofing, and guttering..... ahh the benefits of previous owners never throwing stuff out....
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Water is VERY important, on sunny summer days (remember them?) you will need to give everything a really good soak, probably every other day for things planted in the soil and maybe twice a day for hanging baskets.
I suppose I'm lucky as I have a private water supply and can add bits without worrying about building regs, so I have taps everwhere ... one either end of the polytunnel and one by that greenhouse door. That greenhouse by the way is one that I got for nothing, it's a small 8' x 6' aluminium one and used exclusively for tomatoes. If you look closely at the June 2007 photo you can just make out a sprinkler mounted on a post, that's because OH insists on trips to the UK every now and then to visit her parents and I have to set up an automatic watering system for my absence.
Good luck with yours, 12' x 15' is one hundred and eighty square feet of protected growing area after all :flower:
Tony

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

wow i`m impressed :flower: